Town are beaten by teenage Watford side
IPSWICH Town Under-18’s lost by a single goal to FA Youth Cup quarter-finalists Watford.
Town were without Rory McKeown, who was taken ill on the eve of the game, while Josh Carson travelled to Leeds with the first team and Elliott Scotcher is still struggling with a rib injury.
On a bumpy pitch, opening exchanges were even and the closest to a goal came when Cody Cropper lost the ball in the wind and it took the combined efforts of Cullum Bennett and Jide Maduako to stop a goal.
Caolan Lavery and Josh Meekings battled to create a chance for Jack Simmons and the young winger was unlucky to see his shot from the edge of the area rattle the Hornets’ crossbar.
Watford took the lead after 50 minutes when a disastrous mix-up between Maduako and Cropper left Sean Murray an open goal.
You may also want to watch:
Town pressed for an equaliser and forced the Watford keeper into a string of fine saves.
Aaron Jones was outstanding in the Ipswich midfield and Watford were penned back as Town looked for an equaliser.
- 1 13 Fire engines attend blaze at sugar beet factory
- 2 Hospital visits to be suspended due to Covid infection rise
- 3 £1million beach village set for approval as part of resort regeneration
- 4 Affordable homes project proposed for east Suffolk village
- 5 A14 reopens after one person taken to hospital following crash
- 6 Where to find the cheapest petrol in Suffolk as prices hit all-time high
- 7 Pub changes 'offensive' Halloween display after social media criticism
- 8 Man indecently exposes himself to dog walker in Cavendish
- 9 'Kind and gentle' retired Ipswich Hospital orthopaedic consultant dies
- 10 'The culture is right' - Johnson leaves Town in good hands after whirlwind trip
Five minutes from time Ipswich were caught on the break when Watford broke away to strike a post
On Saturday Ipswich entertain Coventry City at Playford Road with an 11am kick-off.
Ipswich: Cropper, Bennett, Whight, Jones, Meekings, Maduako, Tiofack, Acott, Lavery, Burke, Simmons. Substitutes: O’Donnell, Winter, Marriott, Thompson. Hammond
An injury hit Town U16’s winning run came to an end with a 3-2 defeat at Watford.