Town cut down the Blades

Sheffield United 1 Ipswich Town 2

IPSWICH Town moved further up the Championship table with a hard-fought victory at Bramall Lane on Saturday.

Tamas Priskin gave Town the perfect start with an early goal, and although Stephen Quinn equalised for the home side another first half goal – this time from Gareth McAuley – gave Town victory.

It was the Blues’ third away league win and their sixth in total this season including Carling Cup games with McAuley celebrating his 100th Ipswich appearance with the winner.

At times Town dominated but at others they were on the back foot but defended well in the later stages.

Town made one change from the side that beat Millwall 2-0 at home last weekend. Skipper Norris was not fit enough to play after picking up an ankle injury against the Londoners and his place in midfield was taken by Tottenham loanee Livermore.

McAuley was making his 100th Blues appearance at the back, with Hyam returning to the fold and named one of the substitutes.

Most Read

Former Town keeper Wright was on the Blades bench, but there was no place for Reid, the experienced midfielder who like Colback is currently being loaned out by Sunderland.

Leadbitter led the visiting team out onto the pitch against a United team that had previously lost four home league matches.

Town took the lead in the sixth minute with a simple goal following a long throw in from the right by Edwards. A defender was beaten by the bounce, and when Colback headed the ball forward, Priskin got a touch from six yards out to deflect the ball into the net for his fifth goal of the season.

From Leadbitter’s corner two minutes later, Delaney had a free header that he sent over the bar from 10 yards.

Smith’s long ball forward in the 15th minute almost brought another Priskin goal. The striker held off Ertl and struck the nearside post with an angled effort.

Town fans behind that goal responded with a Marcus Stewart-like ‘There’s only one Tamas Priskin’ chant to show their current appreciation of the in-form front man.

It had been mainly Ipswich with home fans already showing their displeasure, but in the 23rd minute Sheffield came within a whisker of an equaliser.

Quinn turned McAuley on the left and Cresswell’s far post header beat Fulop with Delaney being in the right place to head off the line. A scramble ensued with Ipswich blocking a couple of shots before Yeates fired just wide of the near post.

After looking so comfortable in the opening stages, Town now had a real fight on their hands after Quinn scored the Blades’ first goal in three games in the 30th minute.

The equaliser came after Leadbitter lost possession as Town looked to build out of defence with United building down their right and with McAuley unable to clear the ball dropped for Quinn to bury a low left-foot 17 yard shot inside Fulop’s near post.

After being on the back foot since the leveller, Town went in front courtesy of some dreadful home defending in the 41st minute. Livermore fed Leadbitter well and from the high cross, McAuley – still up field after a corner – headed the ball, and when it dropped the central defender had plenty of time to score low inside the helpless skipper’s right hand post.

It was McAuley’s second goal of the season and a suitable way to celebrate his century of Town appearances.

In the 55th minute Ipswich had a let off when Bartley strode forward and tried his luck from 25 yards. Fulop was forced into a full length save pushing the ball on to the post and being relieved when the ball dropped kindly for him to collect.

Leadbitter twice cleared in desperation – the second time landing the ball on the roof of the stand to show the control the Blades had again at this stage.

But from Colback’s 68th minute corner, McAuley’s diving header was held by Simonsen above his head.

Peters came on to play on the left with Colback moving more inside and Wickham mainly alone up front. Montgomery fired a rocket shot that went two yards wide from 20 yards in 74th minute.

The Blades went for all-out attack when Bogdanovic replaced central defender Ertl after 78 minutes.

Eastman limped off with six minutes left as Ipswich held out thanks to some resolute defending.


Sheffield United: Simonsen; Lowton, Ertl (Bogdanovic 78), Bartley, Nosworthy; Yeates, Britton, Montgomery, Quinn; Cresswell, Ward (Evans 46). Substitutes: Wright, Calve, Taylor, Kozluk, Parrino.

Ipswich Town: Fulop; Eastman (Brown 84), McAuley, Delaney, Smith; Edwards, Leadbitter, Livermore, Colback; Scotland (Wickham 55), Priskin (Peters 72). Substitutes: Murphy, Townsend, Hyam, Murray.

Referee: Mr G Salisbury (Lancashire)

Attendance: 19,207

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter