Town expected to turn down �8 million Wickham bid
PREMIER League giants Liverpool have reportedly bid �8 million for Connor Wickham.
But Ipswich Town are set to reject the offer for their greatest asset, which falls below their valuation of the 18-year-old by at least two million and maybe as much as seven million.
Wickham, currently away with England Under-21s, was always going to be the subject of interest this summer.
But according to a number of national newspapers this morning, it is the Merseysiders who have swooped first as Kenny Dalglish looks to add some youth to his squad.
Sunderland duo Jordan Henderson and Lee Cattermole are also said to be on the Anfield giants’ radar along with Blackburn defender Phil Jones.
But initial indications are that Town won’t accept the bid for Wickham as it falls well short of their own valuation of the striker who last season signed a contract extension keeping him at Portman Road until 2014.
It is not yet clear whether Liverpool will come back with a higher bid while Arsenal and Tottenham have also monitoring the situation with Wickham, who should lead the line for the Under-21s in tomorrow’s friendly against Norway (3pm kick off).
- 1 85 school children under 4 suspended in Suffolk
- 2 Firefighters tackling fire near popular Suffolk hotel and spa
- 3 'Ipswich will be my club for the rest of my days' - Chambers on Town return
- 4 Two arrests as man suffers serious injuries in pub brawl in seaside village
- 5 Popular family-run butchers announces closure
- 6 'Incredible' firefighters spend nearly 12 hours tackling forest blaze
- 7 Sir Cliff Richard sends best wishes to Summer Holiday cast
- 8 Range Rover stolen from home in east Suffolk
- 9 North Stander: The early signs are very positive for Town
- 10 Thousands head to Helmingham car show
Though it is far from certain Town will sell their brightest star this summer, the club has always conceded that every player has a realistic price.
Liverpool might come back with a higher offer, nearer the �10 million mark, but if the Blues are holding out for something nearer �15 million, Premier League clubs will surely look elsewhere.
The Ipswich number nine has made just 37 starts, though scored an impressive 15 goals.
The Blues might be more tempted if they are offered a player-plus-cash deal, as boss Paul Jewell continues his search for new recruits, or if Wickham is loaned back to Ipswich next season.
Liverpool were rumoured to be considering an offer for the teenager in the January transfer window but the sale of Fernando Torres – ironically Wickham’s hero – forced them to look for more experienced strikers.
- What do you think? Should Town cash in on their biggest star and, if so, at what price? Let me know at firstname.lastname@example.org