Town 's £1million transfer bid rejected
IPSWICH Town have had a £1million bid rejected for Cardiff City centre back Roger Johnson.The 6ft 3in defender, who played a pivotal role in the Bluebirds reaching the FA Cup final last season, is on Town's wanted list.
IPSWICH Town have had a £1million bid rejected for Cardiff City centre back Roger Johnson.
The 6ft 3in defender, who played a pivotal role in the Bluebirds reaching the FA Cup final last season, is on Town's wanted list.
A couple of other clubs are also believed to have made bids for Johnson, who joined Cardiff from Wycombe Wanderers for £275,000 in July 2006.
The 25-year-old, who was born in Ashford, Kent, made his debut for Wycombe in the 1999/2000 season.
During the last campaign he made 41 league appearances in the Coca-Cola Championship plus one as a substitute and played in six FA Cup ties as Cardiff reached the final at Wembley where they lost 1-0 to Portsmouth.
- 1 What time will the Red Arrows be flying over Suffolk this weekend?
- 2 London couple transform Suffolk home into an 'intimate' lifestyle retreat
- 3 Forbidden Suffolk: 5 more places you can’t visit in Suffolk
- 4 When will bins be emptied during the Platinum Jubilee Bank Holiday weekend?
- 5 Driver being taken to hospital after car ends up on roof in field
- 6 Highways chiefs fear 'severe impact' of 1,375-home plans
- 7 Revealed: The most popular Suffolk fish and chip shop
- 8 The night Town beat Real Madrid - and why they're still part of elite club
- 9 When will the Red Arrows be flying over Suffolk today?
- 10 Two motorbikes stolen after break-in at Suffolk home
It remains to be seen whether Town increase their bid to match Cardiff's valuation of the player as they seek a replacement for Jason De Vos, who retired at the end of last season.
Meanwhile, Ipswich Town have today denied suggestions that Jon Walters could be on his way to Stoke City.
Blues chief executive Derek Bowden dismissed claims that the newly-promoted Potters were chasing their star forward who swept the board of player of the year awards.
Bowden said: “We have had no offers for contracted players and we are not inviting any either.”
Hull City have also been linked with Walters who has played for them before, but the £100,000 signing from Chester 18 months ago, has insisted he does not want to leave Portman Road.
Danny Haynes is reported to have attracted interest from Portsmouth, but again no bid has been received.
Town have tied both Walters and Haynes on three-year deals signed earlier this year and Owen Garvan still has one year left on his current contract.
The Blues have been boosted by the rapid recovery of £2.2m signing David Norris.
The 26-year-old missed the last six weeks of the season with a heel problem that needed surgery but has stepped up his rehabilitation and is looking to start light jogging next week.
Norris is on track to start pre-season training with the rest of the first team squad who return in earnest on June 25.