Town supporters club chief backs Keane sacking
THE chairman of the Ipswich Town Supporters Club has issued a statement backing Marcus Evans’ decision to fire Roy Keane.
Liz Edwards said: “No-one wanted Town’s form to be so poor that we would face a change of manager mid-season, but the simple fact is that the league table does not lie.
“Marcus Evans has shown huge patience with his first managerial signing - and showed a loyalty despite an awful start (and not so good finish) to last season.
“It feels as if there was no desire for change, until it was really quite clear that there was to be no turnaround in results.
“It is not just a matter of results - there has been little in recent performances to lift our spirits, and no consistency in either personnel or formation.
You may also want to watch:
“The general feeling is that the nucleus of our squad should be good enough to see us in the top half of the league, but there have been too many unproven or poor transfers in, and too much reliance on loan signings who have either not been up to the mark or not stayed long enough to make an impact.
“The new manager will have a huge task on his hands, but he does have players to work with who have it in them to succeed in this league, and that is what we all will be hoping to see.
- 1 Matchday Recap: Aluko brace not enough as Blues draw at Cambridge
- 2 The places with the highest and lowest levels of Covid in Suffolk
- 3 Covid vaccine boosters now available at walk in sessions
- 4 'I'll never shut up shop' - Cook on 2-2 draw at Cambridge United
- 5 Stu says: Six observations following Town's 2-2 draw at Cambridge
- 6 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 2-2 Cambridge draw
- 7 Have you had the 'worst cold ever' that is going round Suffolk?
- 8 New fishmonger shop opens in Suffolk market town
- 9 Cambridge United 2-2 Ipswich Town: Blues let their lead slip again in draw
- 10 MoD warns about late-night Apache training
“I hope those fans who had turned their backs will now return to Portman Road and be part of a bright future for ITFC.”