Town target Stearman faces a fight at Wolves
REPORTED Ipswich Town target Richard Stearman admits he has got a fight on his hands to get in the Wolves team this season.
The Blues have been linked with a �1m plus move for the versatile defender who is equally adapt at playing both centre-back and right-back – two positions Paul Jewell is keen to strengthen.
Speaking ahead of tomorrow’s game between Ipswich and Wolves at Portman Road, the friendly completing Town’s pre-season preparations before the start of their Championship campaign at Bristol City a week later, Stearman said: “It’s going to be a big fight for the shirts at the start of the season and indeed throughout the season.
“We’ve got great strength in depth there now which can only drive us all on to perform better and try to get in the team.
“Hopefully I can perform well and manage to take one of those shirts.”
You may also want to watch:
Stearman has played right-back virtually throughout pre-season with new �4.5m signing Roger Johnson taking his place at centre-back alongside Christophe Berra.
However, the former Leicester man said he is happy to play anywhere.
- 1 Family of hairdresser, 17, who died in her sleep 'overwhelmed' by tributes
- 2 The stats which put Bonne top of the League One charts and firmly on course for a very rare Ipswich Town milestone
- 3 Suffolk families stunned after homes transformed on Changing Rooms
- 4 Channel 4's Changing Rooms comes to Bury St Edmunds tonight
- 5 'Complete waste of our money' - uproar over Santa's grotto
- 6 Donacien on his Ipswich Town future and why he wears the No.44 shirt
- 7 Villagers call to stop 'hazardous' 5-week road closure with huge diversions
- 8 Teen among two arrested in armed police incident
- 9 Goals, vision and chats with a legend - how Town's loan stars are doing
- 10 Man left with serious injuries after late-night attack in town centre
“I’ve played at right-back and centre-back over the last couple of seasons and I think it’s sometimes good to prove your value to the team if you can play in different positions,” he said.
“I’m happy to play in either position when required and it’s the old saying about not minding as long as you’re on that teamsheet!”
Stearman is relishing the trip to Portman Road, adding: “Ipswich are a week in front of us and with just a week left before the start of the season so will want to put on a good performance.
“They will want to take us as a scalp so we all know we’re in for a difficult game.”
– For the latest on this story, see tomorrow’s EADT.