TRANSFER LATEST: Paul Jewell rules out move for Celtic’s Daryl Murphy
PAUL Jewell has all but given up on his hopes of signing Daryl Murphy on a permanent deal.
The Celtic man made 32 starts - and another two from the bench – during his season-long loan spell at Portman Road and Jewell had admitted he would like to sign the 29-year-old on a permanent deal if the price was right.
But Murphy’s wages, understood to be in excess of �10,000 a week, are a clear stumbling block and Jewell today revealed he was not expecting an agreement to be reached.
The Town manager said: “I don’t think Daryl will be back here next year.
“I spoke to him and his agent a few times and we would have liked to have kept him but he’s still got another year left on his contract at Celtic.
You may also want to watch:
“We are grateful to Celtic for letting him come here but I think if we wanted to bring him here next season they would want a fee and you can understand that. He’s on decent wages as well. It’s a deal that is out of our price range.”
The only other option would be for Murphy to sign on loan for a third time – he was initially at Portman Road under Roy Keane – with Jewell admitting he would still look to sign one or two loan players next season.
- 1 Town in talks to sign Barnsley forward Chaplin
- 2 Ipswich Town closing in on deal to sign Rangers defender Edmundson
- 3 Some areas record twice monthly rainfall in a day - and more heavy rain to come
- 4 Ipswich Town appoint new strength and conditioning coach
- 5 Ipswich target Jacobs on his Town talks and chances of a Portman Road move
- 6 Warning of 'severe' flooding in west Suffolk
- 7 'He's a proper footballer... hopefully he can stay around us' - praise for Town teenager Humphreys
- 8 Road closed after lorry crashes into tree as one person is trapped inside
- 9 'Amazing' - Joy as port welcomes maiden call of luxury cruise ship
- 10 Mike Bacon: This Ipswich team has Paul Cook's style stamped all over it