TRANSFER LATEST: Paul Jewell set to speak to Ricardo Rocha
IPSWICH Town manager Paul Jewell says he is yet to inform triallist Ricardo Rocha of his decision regarding a potential move.
The 33-year-old Portuguese centre-back – who left cash-strapped Portsmouth over the summer – has been training with the Blues this week.
“He’s been training with us for a week,” said the Blues boss. “There are a few players that we’ve had training with us for a week, lads that are out of contract. I’ve told him I’ll speak to him tomorrow.”
Town have had Frenchman Bilel Mohsni (Southend), Ivory Coast international Abdoulaye Meite and 6ft 5in German Kevin Pezzoni on trial in recent weeks as Jewell looks to add to his central defensive options. Though the Blues boss has confirmed that he won’t be pursuing all three.
Tommy Smith and Luke Chambers remain the only club-owned players in that position, with Danny Higginbotham having been drafted in on a one-month loan from Stoke last week.
Asked about his stream of triallists, Jewell said: “Every club has them, it’s just that they don’t get reported like ours!
“The way that football is now, there are a lot of players that are out of contract who haven’t got clubs. Michael Owen was one, Emile Heskey was another one.
- 1 Victorian water tower set to become restaurant
- 2 Lorry carrying mobile home stopped on A14 in Suffolk for being too wide
- 3 'There are qualities we want to add' - McKenna on Town transfer targets
- 4 Landlord fined £23k over 'dangerous' electrics and broken toilets at homes
- 5 Pub with 'gorgeous views' named one of UK's best waterside drinking spots
- 6 Town centre road closed after becoming flooded in torrential rain
- 7 West Suffolk pig farmer reluctantly decides to sell herd after torrid year
- 8 A-Level results: Joy for students across Suffolk
- 9 Fears over impact of cottage plans on landmark Suffolk windmill
- 10 Live updates as Suffolk students pick up their A-Level results
“The word triallist makes it sound as if you’re desperate. Sometimes we’ll just have a look at these lads in training for a week. It doesn’t cost us anything, it doesn’t do us any harm. We can assess their fitness, see where they’re up to and you might get one that works for you.
“You don’t want to just be taking anyone willy-nilly. We obviously know a bit about Rocha and Meite. Sometimes you’re looking at them to see what shape they’re in fitness-wise.”