TRANSFER LATEST: Tom Heaton’s Ipswich Town trial rumours wide of the mark
IPSWICH Town appear to be no closer to landing a new number one following speculation that former Cardiff stopper Tom Heaton would be joining on trial.
Reports in Wales claimed the 27-year-old could be on the verge of teaming up with Town during next week’s tour of the Netherlands.
The news was greeted with enthusiasm by the majority of Town fans craving an end to Jewell’s summer search for a new keeper.
But we understand that the reports are wide of the mark – despite Heaton himself saying his future could be sorted soon.
That appears to be away from Portman Road with Jewell apparently not convinced the former Cardiff number two is the right man to become Ipswich number one.
You may also want to watch:
Jewell, who seems to have similar reservations about Watford’s Scott Loach, is believed to be unconcerned about the prospect of leaving for Holland with just one stopper on the plane – Arran Lee-Barrett – for what are, largely, two training matches abroad.
He is instead focusing all his efforts in getting the right man ahead of the start of the season next month.
- 1 Air ambulance called as tree falls on partygoers
- 2 Victoria Hall murder: Suffolk strangler Steve Wright reportedly arrested
- 3 Man jailed after dangerous dogs mauled sheep to death
- 4 Hunt for Victoria Hall's killer takes another twist
- 5 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 6 Town Transfer Talk: Ten in, but how many more are on the way?
- 7 Woodbridge 'cheese wedge' site goes back up for sale
- 8 Cook will be looking to complete the puzzle as Town host Millwall in dress rehearsal
- 9 Evans returns to Town side for Millwall clash
- 10 Lorry driver who died in B1085 crash named
And while he favours recruiting a permanent keeper, Jewell hasn’t ruled out bringing in another loanee – but without the 24-hour recall clause that hindered moves foDavid Stockdale and Alex McCarthy last season.