TRANSFER NEWS: Paul Jewell set to renew interest in Portsmouth’s Joel Ward
IPSWICH Town manager Paul Jewell has confirmed that he has spoken to Joel Ward’s agent about a possible summer switch for the Portsmouth player.
The Blues boss tried to sign the versatile defender or midfielder – along with keeper Stephen Henderson and centre-back Jason Pearce – throughout the January transfer window.
Henderson ended up joining West Ham though, while Pompey decided, despite their financial woes, that they would hold onto the other two in an attempt to avoid the drop.
The south coast club have since gone into administration and had their relegation from the Championship confirmed. And Jewell says he will look at re-igniting attempts to sign 22-year-old Ward.
“I think Pearce is going to Leeds,”said the Blues boss.
You may also want to watch:
“The agent rang me (on Wednesday) about Joel Ward though and I’ve just passed that on to Marcus (Evans).
“The player interests us and I met him here about six weeks ago, showed him around and had a good conversation.
- 1 Hunt for Victoria Hall's killer takes another twist
- 2 Victoria Hall murder: Suffolk strangler Steve Wright reportedly arrested
- 3 'From the outside it looks silly' - Chaplin on why he dropped down for Town
- 4 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 5 Air ambulance called as tree falls on partygoers
- 6 Cardinal Park taped off as man suffers stab wounds
- 7 Man jailed after dangerous dogs mauled sheep to death
- 8 Town Transfer Talk: Ten in, but how many more are on the way?
- 9 Woodbridge 'cheese wedge' site goes back up for sale
- 10 Town bosses on 'Chequebook FC' nickname, Premier League timeframe and more
“He was keen to come, then Portsmouth beat Birmingham and decided to keep players until after the loan deadline.
“Obviously it’s gone pear-shaped for them and his agent rang me. I don’t know how strong the interest is from any other clubs.”
– See tomorrow’s EADT for full match preview of Doncaster Rovers v Ipswich Town.