TRANSFER RUMOUR: Paul Jewell reignites interest in West Ham’s Sam Baldock
IPSWICH Town have enquired about the possibility of taking West Ham striker Sam Baldock on a season-long loan, with a view to a permanent deal next year.
And we understand the forward is keen to join Paul Jewell’s side rather than sit on the sidelines as Hammers boss Sam Allardyce looking elsewhere for firepower.
Baldock was first mentioned in connection with the Blues in May – even before West Ham gained promotion via the play-offs.
Since then, the striker has actually impressed in pre-season, scoring in three consecutive friendlies.
But his chances of being a Premier League success at Upton Park were hit this week when the Hammers signed Mali international frontman Modibo Maiga for �5 million.
You may also want to watch:
Baldock might sit tight for a while – with fellow striker Ricardo Vaz Te demanding a hike in wages after shooting the Hammers into the Premier League.
But Jewell is monitoring the situation surrounding the 23-year-old very closely and is ready to pounce with divisional rivals Charlton also showing interest.
- 1 Machinery to be sold following the loss of 'passionate' farmer
- 2 Town co-owner Bakay on future of Portman Road name
- 3 How bride paid £1 for vintage wedding dress
- 4 5 places to avoid the crowds in Suffolk this summer
- 5 Two people injured after car flips over in east Suffolk
- 6 Town Transfer Talk: Latest on Coulson, Crooks, Bishop and Downes
- 7 Band and singer pull out of Latitude Festival due to positive Covid tests
- 8 'I am very, very excited' - Town teenager Gibbs completes Norwich move
- 9 Sought-after Felixstowe beach hut sells for £88K
- 10 Restraining order for venue boss who intimidated council leader's daughter
Speaking after tonight’s 1-1 draw with Den Bosch, Jewell admitted he was looking for a big targetman – but this might not stop him adding former MK Dons striker Baldock as well.
The Blues boss admitted he was hopeful of making a fourth summer signing sooner rather than later saying he had “a few things going on”.
He revealed: “We need a big centre forward, a bit of physicality.”
Regarding another striking target, Steve Davies from Derby, Jewell added: “We have not made a bid, but I spoke to Nigel Clough on Wednesday to say we do have other targets.
“We are hopeful of getting one in particular very quickly.”