TRANSFER RUMOUR: Paul Jewell’s mysterious transfer target is Derby County’s Steve Davies
THE player Paul Jewell is ‘confident’ of signing is top summer striking target Steve Davies from Derby County.
The Blues boss admitted that he had made a bid for a player on Thursday morning, but declined to comment on his identity.
We understand the person in question is Davies, someone who has been on Jewell’s radar all summer with sources describing the situation as “ongoing”.
The one sticking point has been the price tag slapped on the 24-year-old by Derby boss Nigel Clough.
But after Davies was dropped for County’s season-opener at home to Sheffield Wednesday tomorrow, the saga could well be coming to a conclusion.
You may also want to watch:
Speaking yesterday prior to their own home match against Blackburn, Jewell said: “We’ve made a bid for a player this morning and we’re waiting to find out whether it will be accepted or not.
“I am confident about this one actually. It could happen before the weekend. I’m trying to kid myself though because we’ve had so many knock-backs this summer.”
- 1 Victoria Hall murder: Suffolk strangler Steve Wright reportedly arrested
- 2 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 3 Town bosses on 'Chequebook FC' nickname, Premier League timeframe and more
- 4 Superstitious nonsense or serious business? - Change on the way as Ipswich Town play the numbers game
- 5 Boy, 5, in critical condition after incident at department store
- 6 Hunt for Victoria Hall's killer takes another twist
- 7 Boy, 13, pulled from moat at Framlingham Castle
- 8 'From the outside it looks silly' - Chaplin on why he dropped down for Town
- 9 Cardinal Park taped off as man suffers stab wounds
- 10 Town's first game of the season will be all-ticket
Sources close to the player say he is frustrated by his lack of football having missed the bulk of pre-season for fear he might get injured and rule himself out of a move.
But that Davies, who is out of contract at Derby in 12 months time, is confident that the situation will be resolved soon.