Video and vote: Tractor the future as Ipswich Town reveal new kits
IPSWICH Town have embraced an old nickname on the day they’ve revealed their nostalgia provoking new kits.
In a nod to the shirts seen at Portman Road in the 1980s and 90s, Town have introduced a flash of red to the sleeves of their home shirt for next season, while there is a classic feel to the new away strip which reverts to a simple white and black design.
And to promote the new look, a light-hearted video based around the ‘Tractor Boys’ nickname – which has proved controversial with supporters – has been made.
Shot at Easton Farm Park, Blues wingers Jay Emmanuel-Thomas and Josh Carson dribble around milk churns, keeper Arran Lee-Barrett dives into a pile of mud, while Town legend John Wark makes a guest appearance as a farmer.
Speaking about the clip – which can be viewed at www.itfcshop.co.uk this morning – Carson said: “Making the video was a great laugh. I can’t wait to see the out-takes!”
You may also want to watch:
The story goes that a ‘Tractor Boys’ chant was started by Suffolk pub side Earl Soham in the semi-finals of the Sunday Cup at Anfield in 2000. Ipswich fans quickly took it on as their own and a new nickname was born.
Supporters have long been split as to whether the tag was a fun reference to the county’s farming heritage, or a misrepresentative and derisory term.
- 1 Matchday Recap: All-square as Town and U's share six goals
- 2 Colchester town centre streets closed following concern over child
- 3 Man arrested on suspicion of murdering Victoria Hall
- 4 'The people of West Suffolk deserve better': Vote of no confidence for Hancock
- 5 Family creates 50 new jobs by reviving two Suffolk pubs
- 6 Town could still move for another winger after Chaplin signing
- 7 Town complete Chaplin deal as Barnsley forward becomes signing No.10
- 8 Andy's Angles: Six observations from Ipswich Town's Colchester draw
- 9 Colchester United 3 Ipswich Town 3: Burns' late strike levels it for Town
- 10 Boy, 5, in critical condition after incident at department store
Fans can pre-order both the home and away kits from today; in-store at Planet Blue, online at www.itfcshop.co.uk or by calling 01473 400501.
The pre-order closing date for home shirts is June 9. Pre-orders can be collected on June 16, with the kit going on general sale from June 23.
The pre-order closing date for away shirts is June 30. Pre-orders can be collected on July 21, with the kit going on general sale from July 28.
Both shirts will retail at �42.99 for adults and �31.99 for children.
“We are the first English league club to unveil the new look for next season and that is testament to the work Mitre have put in over the last six months,” said Town’s retail manager Lee Hyde.
“The classic, clean, powerful look of the kits has been a real hit with the players and the manager and we’re hoping that the fans love them too.”
– What do you think? Do you like the new kits? Should the club be embracing the ‘Tractor Boys’ tag? Cast your votes and comment below.