We can be “fairly proud” of performances so far – Luke Chambers
Ipswich v Charlton: Town might sit second-bottom in the early stages of the Championship season.
But Luke Chambers has risked disagreeing with some Blues fans by claiming Paul Jewell’s side can be “fairly proud” of the performances thus far.
The second half capitulation at Blackpool aside, Chambers insists Town’s league position does not reflect how they have played.
But the biggest problem, says Town’s vice-captain, has been the “criminal” inability to take chances.
Chambers said: “We are disappointed with the points tally we have put together but the performances in every game, apart from the second 45 minutes against Blackpool, I think we can be fairly proud of.
You may also want to watch:
“We have had about 17 chances in each of the last two games, but we only hit the target twice the other night and that is not good enough.
“The chances we created the other night, normally, you only get one of those a game but we were getting five or six glaring opportunities in the penalty box and for me that is criminal.
- 1 Town in talks to sign Barnsley forward Chaplin
- 2 Ipswich Town closing in on deal to sign Rangers defender Edmundson
- 3 Some areas record twice monthly rainfall in a day - and more heavy rain to come
- 4 Ipswich Town appoint new strength and conditioning coach
- 5 'He's a proper footballer... hopefully he can stay around us' - praise for Town teenager Humphreys
- 6 Warning of 'severe' flooding in west Suffolk
- 7 Ipswich target Jacobs on his Town talks and chances of a Portman Road move
- 8 'Amazing' - Joy as port welcomes maiden call of luxury cruise ship
- 9 Road closed after lorry crashes into tree as one person is trapped inside
- 10 Kenyan school chums meet by 'unbelievable chance' at Suffolk village fete
“The lads scored fairly frequently last season and chances are falling to everyone, not just the strikers. The more we miss, the more the other team stays in the game.”
Ahead of today’s must-win home match against Charlton, Chambers added: “They will come here really positive, they are here for a reason and we can’t take them lightly.
“They will be desperate to get points on board as they are in a similar position to us. “