We need a new ‘big number one’ admits Paul Jewell
IT is the worst kept secret among all of Paul Jewell’s transfer targets this summer.
But the Town boss has once again dealt Arran Lee-Barrett a hammer blow by reiterating his desire for a new “number one”.
The news might not come as a surprise to most Town supporters but Jewell clearly views Lee-Barrett – who has made 20 appearances this season – as merely a reserve.
And the Blues boss has not hesitated in trying to acquire a new man between the sticks, revealing: “We spoke to someone regarding a goalkeeper.
“I think it’s been quite apparent that we need a goalkeeper. We’ve had a couple of loanees and we’ve had Arran (Lee-Barrett), he’s done okay when he’s come in, but we need a big presence – a number one goalkeeper. That’s how I feel.”
You may also want to watch:
Birmingham stopper Colin Doyle has been linked with a move to Ipswich but we understand he is not the keeper Jewell is referring to.
Manchester United’s Tomasz Kuszczak, a free agent in the summer, is thought to be higher on the list of priorities.
- 1 Machinery to be sold following the loss of 'passionate' farmer
- 2 Town co-owner Bakay on future of Portman Road name
- 3 How bride paid £1 for vintage wedding dress
- 4 5 places to avoid the crowds in Suffolk this summer
- 5 Band and singer pull out of Latitude Festival due to positive Covid tests
- 6 Town Transfer Talk: Latest on Coulson, Crooks, Bishop and Downes
- 7 Two people injured after car flips over in east Suffolk
- 8 'I am very, very excited' - Town teenager Gibbs completes Norwich move
- 9 Sought-after Felixstowe beach hut sells for £88K
- 10 Bin lorry driver ran over colleague's leg in Kesgrave
But a new number one is just for starters with Jewell stating: “I think the spine of the team needs to be strengthened – we’ve been a bit powder-puff if I’m being brutally honest.
“We have got a couple of targets we’re chasing. Ideally we would like to do business sooner rather than later, but in this business things don’t always fall for you when you want them to.”