‘We show the white flag too easily,’ says Jewell
IPSWICH Town manager Paul Jewell says some of his players ‘aren’t good enough’ following today’s embarrassing 7-1 defeat at newly-promoted Peterborough in front of the Sky cameras.
“For 12 minutes or so I couldn’t believe what I was seeing,” said Jewell, whose side conceded four quick goals in the first half having taken the lead.
“Some of the goals we conceded were just ridiculous. When it gets physical and nitty gritty, the white flag just comes out. Whenever we come under pressure we just collapse.
“At half-time it was damage limitation, we were just trying to keep the score down to be brutally honest.
“There are too many people in the building that are not good enough or worthy enough to play for us.
You may also want to watch:
“I take responsibility, I’m the manager and I pick the team. I’ll take it on the chin, put my tin helmet on and battle on. I’ve just got to keep trying to get people in the building.”
The Blues boss, whose side lost 5-2 at home to Southampton on Tuesday night, added: “Someone said three of their goals were offside and the penalty was outside the box, but I’m definitely not going to hide behind a 7-1 defeat by blaming the referee.
- 1 Ed Sheeran hints at new tour dates and reveals favourite Suffolk beer
- 2 7 of Suffolk's prettiest streets
- 3 Former addict marries 'guardian angel' after years of 'hell'
- 4 Road outside Ipswich closed after two cars collide
- 5 Former Town winger Finidi George gets first senior manager job
- 6 Hits, misses, an 'unseen' suspension, a few goals and two still without clubs - how the departed Ipswich players are faring ahead of Bishop reunion
- 7 ‘Inadequate’ private hospital closes after patients ‘put at prolonged risk of harm’
- 8 From Blues to U's - how ex-Town stars are faring at Colchester
- 9 Bishop on his 'brutal, almost disrespectful' Ipswich exit, not fitting into Cook's system and why he's 'absolutely loving' life at Lincoln
- 10 Town face 'red tape' wait over Celina
“Even if that’s true it doesn’t hide what’s going on in our team. Some of the defending was of shambolic proportions.
“I don’t think there are too many teams that can say they’ve conceded 12 goals in five days. It was really, really embarrassing and I’m really hurting.”
– Full reports and reaction in Monday’s EADT and Evening Star.