Wickham called up to England Under-21s
IPSWICH Town striker Connor Wickham has been named in the England Under-21 squad for friendly matches against Denmark and Iceland later this month.
The teenager – who turns 18 at the end of this month – has previously won one cap at U21 level as a 66th minute substitute in a 2–0 defeat against Germany.
Stuart Pearce’s side take on Denmark, the nation hosting the European U21 Championships in the summer, in Viborg on Thursday, March 24, before taking on Iceland at Preston on Monday, March 28.
Former Colchester schoolboy Wickham first represented England at U16 level and was a key player at the U17 European Championships in Liechtenstein last summer where he scored five goals, including the winner in the final against Spain.
Used sparingly under Roy Keane in the first half of the campaign, his first goal for Town this season didn’t come until January 22.
You may also want to watch:
However, he has become a key player under new boss Paul Jewell, has scored six goals in his last 12 appearances – including a hat-trick at Doncaster – and was named Championship player-of-the-month for February.
Meanwhile, Blues defender Troy Brown has been named in the Wales U21 squad for their opening European Championships qualifier in Andorra on Tuesday, March 29. The 20-year-old, who is out-of-contract in the summer, has previously won two caps at U21 level.
- 1 The places with the highest and lowest levels of Covid in Suffolk
- 2 Stu says: Six observations following Town's 2-2 draw at Cambridge
- 3 2,000 patients visit A&E because they are feeling depressed
- 4 Four men arrested after man dies at Felixstowe lorry park
- 5 'I'll never shut up shop' - Cook on 2-2 draw at Cambridge United
- 6 Town get home draw in FA Cup First Round as ex-Blues head to Sudbury
- 7 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 2-2 Cambridge draw
- 8 Jailed in Suffolk: J Block gang members and man who attacked train station staff
- 9 New fishmonger shop opens in Suffolk market town
- 10 Audi and Jaguar crash into central reservation on A12 at Copdock
England U21s: Frankie Fielding (Derby County - loan from Blackburn Rovers), Scott Loach (Watford), Alex Smithies (Huddersfield Town), Alex McCarthy (Reading) , Nathan Baker (Aston Villa), Joe Bennett (Middlesbrough), Ryan Bertrand (Chelsea), Steven Caulker (Bristol City - loan from Tottenham), Kieran Gibbs (Arsenal), Ben Mee (Leicester City - loan from Manchester City), Kyle Naughton (Leicester City - loan from Tottenham), Micah Richards (Manchester City), Chris Smalling (Manchester United), James Tomkins (West Ham United), Kyle Walker (Aston Villa - loan from Tottenham), Marc Albrighton (Aston Villa), Jack Cork (Burnley - loan from Chelsea), Tom Cleverley (Wigan Athletic - loan from Man Utd), Mark Davies (Bolton Wanderers), Jordan Henderson (Sunderland), Henri Lansbury (Norwich City - loan from Arsenal), Josh McEachran (Chelsea), Fabrice Muamba (Bolton Wanderers), Jack Rodwell (Everton), Danny Rose (Tottenham Hotspur), Scott Sinclair (Swansea City), Nathan Delfouneso (Burnley - loan from Aston Villa), Gary Hooper (Celtic), Daniel Sturridge (Bolton Wanderers - loan from Chelsea), Danny Welbeck (Sunderland - loan from Man Utd), Connor Wickham (Ipswich Town).