Wickham stars in Youth Cup win
IPSWICH'S rising star Connor Wickham was on target last night as Town secured their place in the Fourth Round of the FA Youth Cup with a 2-0 win over Tranmere Rovers at Prenton Park.
FA Youth Cup
Tranmere Rovers 0 Ipswich Town 2
IPSWICH'S rising star Connor Wickham was on target last night as Town secured their place in the Fourth Round of the FA Youth Cup with a 2-0 win over Tranmere Rovers at Prenton Park, writes Tim Roberts.
Chris Kiwomya's side dominated their League One opponents with Wickham lively up front throughout and Tom Eastman putting in a strong display in the centre of defence.
You may also want to watch:
Wickham netted the opener on 24 minutes when he lapsed onto a defensive error and fired low under Tranmere keeper Joe Collister from 12 yards.
He had a chance to double the lead on 51 minutes when racing on to a through ball, but Collister did well to palm his angled shot away.
- 1 Murder-suicide probe after couple found dead in Woodbridge
- 3 Woman arrested on suspicion of drink-driving following A14 crash
- 4 'You either deliver or you leave' - Cook's message to Town players
- 5 Paul Cook speaks about Ipswich Town takeover for first time
- 6 National Trust 'deeply saddened' at death of volunteers in Woodbridge incident
- 7 Woodbridge community 'saddened' after couple found dead by police
- 8 The first five jobs for Ipswich Town's new owners
- 9 Serious crash closes road in Bury St Edmunds near A14
- 10 Long queues at Primark from 7am in Ipswich as lockdown eases
However, two minutes later Town did score their second. A quickly-taken free kick by David Cawley found Josh Carson in space and his powerful drive went under the wall and straight past Collister.
Mirko Ranieri kept out a long range Tranmere shot on 72 minutes, the closest the home side came to denying Ipswich a clean sheet.
Wickham, who was later booked for time-wasting, saw two more shots blocked, while Carson came close to a second with a fierce effort from outside the area that was well saved.
Ipswich: Ranieri, Bennett, Dunbar (McKeown 30), Meekings, Eastman, Hyam, Clark (Brandon 72), Cawley, Wickham, Lavery (Butcher 81), Carson. Substitutes not