Wolves match more about performance than result
Don’t judge us on today.
That is the message from Blues boss Paul Jewell as his Town side go into this afternoon’s showcase pre-season friendly against Premier League Wolverhampton Wanderers at Portman Road (kick-off 3pm).
Ipswich might be unbeaten in the run-up to next week’s Championship kick-off but two decent wins in the Netherlands tour have since been a little overshadowed by three draws against lower league opposition – including Tuesday night’s abandoned match at Colchester United.
But Jewell has told the Blues faithful not to read too much into the friendly campaign with everyone at Portman Road fully focused on the trip to Bristol City in seven days’ time.
The Town boss said: “I have played in and managed teams who have had the best pre-season in the world and then not done so well in the season and vice-versa. We haven’t played great but these games are all about fitness.”
You may also want to watch:
The Blues first – and only – pre-season match at home is expected to see all of Jewell’s seven summer signings in the squad with Nathan Ellington fully fit after missing the friendly at Colchester with a shoulder injury.
Certainly today’s match against Mick McCarthy’s Wolves will be more about performance than result. And it represents the last chance for Town players to stake their claim for a starting place at Ashton Gate.
- 1 Bishop on his 'brutal, almost disrespectful' Ipswich exit, not fitting into Cook's system and why he's 'absolutely loving' life at Lincoln
- 2 ‘Inadequate’ private hospital closes after patients ‘put at prolonged risk of harm’
- 3 7 of Suffolk's prettiest streets
- 4 Town face 'red tape' wait over Celina
- 5 A14 blocked after three vehicle crash
- 6 Hits, misses, an 'unseen' suspension, a few goals and two still without clubs - how the departed Ipswich players are faring ahead of Bishop reunion
- 7 Cook on whether he's missing the influence of Richardson
- 8 Your favourite pub, restaurant, café and hotel in Suffolk revealed
- 9 Ed Sheeran hints at new tour dates and reveals favourite Suffolk beer
- 10 Ed Sheeran announces three Wembley dates as part of = world tour