Yeovil in midweek and Doncaster on Boxing Day, Ipswich Town fans are handed a raw deal!
- Credit: PA Wire/Press Association Images
Ipswich Town have been handed a raw deal, following the release of the Blues’ fixture list for the 2013/14 campaign.
While a tough trip to Reading on the opening day could be seen as a daunting one for some Town fans, more alarming is the schedule that the Blues face.
Every away day is a considered a decent trek for Town fans with the 160-mile round trip to Charlton the shortest they will have to travel this season.
However, a 445-mile round trip to the West Country to watch Town at Yeovil, on Tuesday March 11 – three days after a gruelling 505 mile journey to Middlesbrough – is an eye-watering prospect, while midweek visits to Derby at the start of October and Leeds at the end of January are hardly short journeys either.
Huddersfield are the away opponents for the Blues on Tuesday April 8, and just when you thought it couldn’t get much worse, up popped the Festive fixtures!
Doncaster away on Boxing Day, with a 3pm kick-off, will see Town fans wanting to travel missing their Turkey curry, with a 10am start (minimum) on the cards. Then, a visit to Bournemouth three days later will be a costly jaunt, especially after the expense of Christmas.
Fans reacted with frustration on twitter with @LudaChrisWade commenting: “It’s just a joke. Will have to take at least a day and a half, maybe two days off work just to go and see Yeovil.
- 1 Revealed: The most isolated villages in Suffolk
- 2 Mystery surrounds container ships at anchor off Suffolk coast
- 3 Protests against soaring fuel prices planned for Monday
- 4 Ambitious plans to regenerate 'dilapidated' part of Suffolk town revealed
- 5 One of north Suffolk's 'most productive' arable farms up for sale
- 6 Double-decker bus bought on eBay becomes new home for evicted Suffolk family
- 7 Woman jailed for having sex with Ipswich schoolboy
- 8 Ice cream kiosk at Suffolk beauty spot destroyed in arson
- 9 'I'll do whatever's in my power' - Ball makes vow to Ipswich Town fans
- 10 Torquay sign two released Ipswich Town players
“How hard could it be to at least give us a London team or Midlands on Tuesdays and over Xmas. This wouldn’t happen in the prem.”
Meanwhile, on our Ipswich Town webchat, GJA added: Why such a distant trip to Doncaster boxing Day? With no public transport surely could’ve been team closer?
As for @itfc_101, he said: “Was hoping the trip to yeovil would be nice and early. Alas no, going to be a long ol day.”
However, Town fan @Dkneece was more enthusiastic, she said: “Excellent! blow those xmas cobwebs away with a brisk walk along Bournemouth sea front then watch another 3 points go in the bag!!”
Away day distance in miles from IP1 (Round trip): Barnsley 368; Birmingham 302, Blackburn 517; Blackpool 546; Bolton 496; Bournemouth 388; Brighton 250; Burnley 464; Charlton 160; Derby 323; Doncaster 340; Huddersfield 400; Leeds 400; Leicester 246; Middlesbrough 505; Millwall 166; Notts Forest 279; QPR 182; Reading 262; Sheff Wed 356; Watford 182; Wigan 474; Yeovil 445.