Ipswich Wanderers humbled by Baldock in FA Cup
- Credit: Archant
FA Cup Extra Preliminary Round Ipswich Wanderers 0 Baldock Town 5 Ipswich Wanderers’ interest in the FA Cup was virtually over inside 20 minutes, as they were outclassed by the Spartan League side, who won promotion to their Premier Division last season, writes John Campany.
Whilst the the Thurlow Nunn side fought to the end, they were no match for the more physical and experienced side whose clinical finishing was the feature of this tie.
Wanderers’ frailties were exposed as early as the first minute when Kieran Barnes threaded a fine ball behind the last defender, and Harry Holland rounded keeper Bailey Fairweather to put the visitors ahead.
There was optimism at the other end when Sam Cheetham’s diagonal ball put Connor Ward through, but Baldock keeper Adam Harper smothered the ball and then Ward brought home supporters to their feet when dispatching a rising shot just over.
However, on balance the Hertfordshire side carried the greater threat going forward and Nathan Speed did well to intercept Alex Coppin, whilst moments later Holland fired across the face of goal, well gathered by the outstretched Fairweather.
You may also want to watch:
Baldock extended their lead on 18 minutes when Louis Lee sent Lewis Barker clear, and his ensuing cross was fumbled by Fairweather. In the melee that followed, the keeper was guilty of pushing Holland and from the resultant penalty the same player scored from the spot.
The home keeper distinguished himself with a fine save from Zach Decker’s deflected shot, but was given no chance on 35 minutes when substitute Alfie Barton superbly used his chest to control a ball played to the edge of the box, turned and volleyed into the roof of the net.
- 1 Family pay tribute to former Suffolk headteacher who has passed away
- 2 'Striking' Suffolk eco home featured on Grand Designs up for sale
- 3 Portsmouth 0-4 Ipswich Town: Blues deliver Cook's biggest win as boss
- 4 'Our most complete performance of the season' - Cook on 4-0 win at Portsmouth
- 5 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 6 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 4-0 win at Pompey
- 7 A14 roundabout lanes remain closed as burst water main repaired
- 8 Stu says: He's ours now! The pick-pocket and cheese-gate - Town's 4-0 win
- 9 Engineers repair water main which flooded A14 roundabout
- 10 Former Suffolk school leaders found guilty of professional misconduct
On the stroke of half time a great shot from the left by Decker sailed over the keeper and nestled high inside the far post to give the excellent visitors a 4–0 interval lead.
Both sides made substitutions after the break, but there was no respite for Mark Goldfinch’s side or the 87 supporters, as Baldock’s offensive play continued to dictate.
Their brand of football was orchestrated by the impressive Lee, who produced an outstanding display from midfield.
The scoring was completed when Holland released Kieran Barnes, who strode into the box and sent a terrific shot past Fairweather.