‘It was a different dream to what the dream is now’: Ipswich Wanderers manager Mark Benterman steps down
- Credit: Archant
Mark Benterman has stepped down as manager of Ipswich Wanderers a week after the club’s budget was suspended due to ‘urgent economics’.
The Humber Doucy Lane-based club last week announced their players would have to play the rest of the season without payment due to the club’s financial issues – with Benterman admitting he faced a huge struggle to keep the club in the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division.
He had vowed to continue, at a time when any players wishing to leave were told they would be allowed to move on, but he has now had a change of heart after admitting he felt unable to carry on.
“I love the football, the club is a fantastic club but when I took the job on it was a different dream to what the dream is now,” he said.
“It’s changed quite quickly and there are obviously financial issues off the pitch which I was not aware of.
You may also want to watch:
“That’s fine, it happens. I love my football and there was a great group of lads but unfortunately the stuff off the pitch has led to me stepping aside and leaving someone else to deal with those.
“I will always be grateful that the club gave me the chance to manage at Step Five and I’ve had a lot of compliments and positivity from fans and players.
MORE: Wanderers boss Mark Benterman speaks out as his playing budget is ‘suspended’“The decision wasn’t based on football, more on what is going on behind the scenes so I made the decision to step down. I don’t blame the club whatsoever and I wish them all the best for the future, but there is a lot going on behind the scenes.“We were very competitive on the pitch and the style of play has been good but maybe we could have won a few more games.“I will take a break from the game and see where that takes me.”Wanderers issued a short statement on Wednesday night, shortly after their defeat by Haverhill in the Suffolk Premier Cup, revealing Benterman’s departure, with a caretaker manager set to be appointed in the coming days. The statement read: “It is with regret that Mark Benterman has decided to step down as manager of Ipswich Wanderers.“We would like to thank Mark for his efforts this season.”Next up for Wanderers is a home clash with Hadleigh United on Saturday.
- 1 Matchday Recap: Plenty of positives despite Palace defeat
- 2 How bride paid £1 for vintage wedding dress
- 3 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 4 Machinery to be sold following the loss of 'passionate' farmer
- 5 How the Ipswich Town players performed in their friendly clash with Crystal Palace
- 6 5 places to avoid the crowds in Suffolk this summer
- 7 7 pretty villages in Suffolk
- 8 Ipswich Town 0 Crystal Palace 1: Zaha makes Town pay the penalty
- 9 Leisure centre closes after travellers park up on site
- 10 Town coach on Palace display, fans' return, transfer business and Evans' absence