Ipswich Witches reserve Paco Castagna helps send Sheffield Tigers home packing
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
League Cup Ipswich Witches 51 Sheffield Tigers 39
Paco Castagna and his broad smile lit up Foxhall Stadium as Ipswich Witches produced a competent performance to beat off a highly-fancied Sheffield side on Saturday night.
The young Italian, who has been so struggling for form, won heat two and linked up with Morten Risager for a match-winning 5-1 in heat 14 to gladden the Foxhall faithful who were starting to worry about Castagna’s credentials.
Son of former Ipswich favourite Armando Castagna, Paco is a long way from achieving what his dad did – as yet anyhow.
However, at Foxhall on Saturday night he recorded his best Witches score of the season to help see the Suffolk side to victory.
“I feel so good, I feel so wonderful,” Castagna beamed in the pits afterwards.
“It’s just unbelievable the way it has gone for me. It’s been horrible. At Sheffield on Thursday (where he failed to register a point), it was the bottom, the very bottom.
- 1 Will it be another lockdown Christmas?
- 2 The possible candidates as Ipswich Town search for new boss
- 3 The early betting favourites to be the next Town boss
- 4 Stuart Watson's verdict: Cook sacking shows Town owners mean business
- 5 'Would get Town promoted this season' - Ambrose reveals his choice for new boss
- 6 Approved town centre hotel will help meet need for tourist rooms
- 7 Flood alert issued for Suffolk and north Essex coast
- 8 Look inside: Stunning £3m home is most expensive on market in Suffolk
- 9 Ipswich Town set to announce caretaker manager
- 10 Harsh or fair? Here's what Town fans are saying about Paul Cook sacking
“I had to do something and I’ve spoken to some people, who I won’t name, who have told me to really want it.
“Nico Covatti has helped me. At least I can go home in the van tonight with a smile on my face.”
More from Castagna, James Sarjeant and full meeting review in Monday’s Ipswich Star and East Anglian Daily Times
1 Sarjeant, King, Stead, Berge 58.8 5-1
2 Castagna, Greaves, Ritchings, Hall 59.2 9-3
3 Bates, Risager, Howarth, Kerr (f/x) 59.0 11-7
4 Garrity, Covatti, Greaves, Ritchings 58.9 13-11
5 Stead, Risager, Berge, Kerr 58.9 15-15
6 Garrity, Sarjeant, Hall, King (15m) 59.2 17-19
7 Covatti, Bates, Howarth, Castagna 59.3 20-22
8 Sarjeant, Berge, Ritchings, Greaves (f) no time 24-24
9 Kerr, Garrity, Risager, Hall 58.5 28-26
10 Sarjeant, King, Bates, Howarth 58.7 33-27
11 Covatti, Stead, Castagna, Berge 58.8 37-29
12 Howarth, Kerr, Ritchings, Hall 59.9 40-32
13 Stead, Covatti, King, Garrity (f) 58.5 43-35
14 Risager, Castagna, Bates, Greaves 58.6 48-36
15 Covatti, Bates, Garrity, Sarjeant (15m) 58.3 51-39
Ipswich 3pts. Sheffield 0pts.
Ipswich: D King 5+3, J Sarjeant 11, L Kerr 5, M Risager 8, N Covatti 13, P Castagna 6+1, D Ritchings 3+1
Sheffield: S Stead 9, D Berge 3, K Howarth 5+1, J Bates 9, J Garrity 9+1, R Hall 1, N Greaves 3