‘It’s been a dream start’ – Colchester United’s Ben Stevenson
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Ben Stevenson basked in the glory of a “dream start” to his Colchester United career, after scoring the opening goal in Saturday’s 2-0 home win over Newport County.
Snapped up on loan from Wolves on transfer deadline day on Thursday, having moved to the Championship leaders on a permanent deal from Coventry just hours before, Stevenson marked his U’s debut with a slick goal, just before the hour mark.
On as a 49th minute substitute, midfielder Stevenson calmly diverted home Courtney Senior’s cross, to put the U’s 1-0 up. Tom Eastman added a killer second on 79 minutes.
“It’s been a dream start for me,” enthused Stevenson.
“That goal has set me up and I’ve got my confidence back. I can’t wait for the next few games.
You may also want to watch:
“I know that the lads had not won in six games, but they drew four of these and you could tell by the way we played today that we have deserved to get more results,” added the 20-year-old.
- 1 Cook discusses Chambers' future after captain dropped at Charlton
- 2 Suffolk actress Helen McCrory dies following cancer battle
- 3 'It was a tiny step forwards' - Cook on 0-0 draw at Charlton
- 4 Matchday Live: Updates as Town travel to The Valley to face Charlton
- 5 Frustrated Suffolk farmer returns dumped items to householders
- 6 Suffolk-born Royal Ballet choreographer Liam Scarlett dies
- 7 Shopper eschew Suffolk's smaller towns to hit Primark
- 8 Missing Stowmarket man, 49, found safe and well
- 9 Why are 3,500 homes stood empty in Suffolk?
- 10 Blues ratings: How Town players performed in the draw at Charlton