Suffolk fishing star Jack set for England date in Italy
- Credit: Archant
Suffolk match angler Jack Damant, 17, from Needham Market has fulfilled a lifetime ambition and been selected to fish for his country.
Damant recently trialed for the England under 20s, was successful, and has been called up to fish in this year’s World Championships in Italy, on the Cavo Lama canal, on August 3 and 4.
“It’s a really great honour to represent my country,” Damant said.
“And easily the biggest achievement in my fishing career.
“It just makes me more determined and dedicated to continue to achieve what I set out to do when I first started fishing.”
You may also want to watch:
Jack started his match fishing career at Gipping Valley Angling Club, in Needham Market, at the tender age of nine.
Not that it has been all plain sailing for the talented Suffolk youngster.
- 1 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 2 Engineers repair water main which flooded A14 roundabout
- 3 Matchday Recap: Blues cruise to victory at Fratton Park
- 4 The Suffolk pub serving a gourmet Sunday lunch three days a week
- 5 Portsmouth 0-4 Ipswich Town: Blues deliver Cook's biggest win as boss
- 6 'Our most complete performance of the season' - Cook on 4-0 win at Portsmouth
- 7 Framlingham taxi driver lives double life as Chateau Diaries star
- 8 Former Suffolk school leaders found guilty of professional misconduct
- 9 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 4-0 win at Pompey
- 10 Thunderstorm warning issued in Suffolk as heavy rain forecast
Indeed, he has fallen at the last hurdle at two previous England trials.
“I’m glad to have bounced back from those disappointments,” he admitted.
After being successful in the junior section of the Gipping Valley Club, Jack started competing in the senior matches and it wasn’t long before he was winning his fair share of these – he was only 14 years old.
The progression continued into the competitive open match scene where once again he proved his worth and was successfully competing at the highest level – and continues to do so.
Fishing at this level has also introduced him into prestigious national events such as the Junior Fish o Mania which he won in 2016 at his first attempt – a highly significant victory.
This helped escalate Damant’s match fishing into team events such as Sensas Mark One and the successful Junior Sensas A4 team.
These successes have led to some high profile sponsorships from tackle companies, Bait-Tech, Matrix Image, Dot em Down and Breakaway Tackle.
Birds Tackle, at Claydon, have been behind the Suffolk teenager ever since he broke into the match scene and they are another firm who continue to give generous support.
“The support I have from various sponsorships and family has been invaluable,” Jack added.
“I owe them all a great deal.”