James completes U’s switch
Lloyd James has officially signed for Colchester United.
LLOYD James has officially signed for Colchester United.
The 22-year-old midfielder has been on trial at the U‘s since the start of pre-season having been released by Southampton at the end of the season.
He has played in all four of the Essex club’s pre-season friendlies so far, impressing manager John Ward with his range of passing in a deep-lying midfield role.
A former Wales Under-21 international, James came through the youth ranks at the Saints and has made over 71 appearances for the south coast club over the last four years.
The majority of those came last season, the versatile player – who can also operate at full-back – featuring for Alan Pardew’s side on 40 occasions as they narrowly missed out on the League One play-offs following a 10 point deduction.
Meanwhile, fellow triallist Ben Coker – who was offered a contract at the same time as James last Friday – is expected to finalise his two-year before the end of the week. The 21-year-old left-sided specialist starred for Suffolk side Bury Town at step four of the non-league pyramid last season.
- 1 World War Two-themed holiday accommodation plans at former airfield
- 2 Matchday Live: Chaplin wins it as Town claim three points
- 3 9 forgotten pubs that were at the heart of their Suffolk towns
- 4 Thatch roof of cottage 'fully alight' in village near Needham Market
- 5 McKenna hoping Portman Road routine changes can help 'find an edge'
- 6 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in Stanley win
- 7 Police arrest driver after single car crash
- 8 Police called to anti-vaccine demonstration at Suffolk pharmacy
- 9 'It's an important win' - McKenna on 2-1 victory against Accrington
- 10 Appeal to find 33-year-old missing man