Joe Dunne puts the focus on Gilbey playing, not his contract
- Credit: Archant
Colchester United boss, Joe Dunne, has revealed that the club is no nearer to securing Alex Gilbey on a longer contract.
Instead, the Dubliner has just been happy to see Gilbey become an established player in his team, operating all across the midfield.
The 18-year-old’s current deal expires next summer, and as yet there has been no progress in him signing a new contract.
On the eve of today’s trip to Tranmere, Dunne confirmed: “There has been no movement on Alex’s contract.
“It’s just where we left it, although there are bits and pieces that we speak about.
You may also want to watch:
“My major focus for Alex at the moment is for him to keep playing, and keep focused on that.
“He’s probably played more games than I expected him to, but that’s because need’s must.
- 1 Cook discusses Chambers' future after captain dropped at Charlton
- 2 'It was a tiny step forwards' - Cook on 0-0 draw at Charlton
- 3 Missing Stowmarket man, 49, found safe and well
- 4 The 20 places in Suffolk that recorded the most coronavirus cases this week
- 5 Shopper eschew Suffolk's smaller towns to hit Primark
- 6 Isaacs call police after quayside drinkers cause chaos outside bar
- 7 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 0-0 draw at Charlton
- 8 Suffolk-born Royal Ballet choreographer Liam Scarlett dies
- 9 Blues ratings: How Town players performed in the draw at Charlton
- 10 Saturday drinkers queue for post-lockdown pints
“Alex is a regular in the first team and holds his own in the first team.
“He’s played in many positions for us, and they are the kind of players we want. I can’t ask for more than that,” added Gilbey.
Gilbey is again set to start at Prenton Park this afternoon, while fellow midfielders Craig Eastmond and David Wright are also expected to recover from knocks to play.