Joe Dunne puts the focus on Gilbey playing, not his contract
- Credit: Archant
Colchester United boss, Joe Dunne, has revealed that the club is no nearer to securing Alex Gilbey on a longer contract.
Instead, the Dubliner has just been happy to see Gilbey become an established player in his team, operating all across the midfield.
The 18-year-old’s current deal expires next summer, and as yet there has been no progress in him signing a new contract.
On the eve of today’s trip to Tranmere, Dunne confirmed: “There has been no movement on Alex’s contract.
“It’s just where we left it, although there are bits and pieces that we speak about.
“My major focus for Alex at the moment is for him to keep playing, and keep focused on that.
“He’s probably played more games than I expected him to, but that’s because need’s must.
- 1 The Unruly Pig in Suffolk is named best gastropub in the UK
- 2 Two incidents of indecent exposure within 20 minutes in Suffolk village
- 3 Man, 33, jailed for 10 years for child sex offences
- 4 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Swans prepare 'six-figure bid' for Fraser
- 5 Photographer secretly recorded couple in bedroom of his Suffolk holiday home
- 6 Town set to appeal Morsy's FA charge
- 7 Matchday Live: Burns fires Blues ahead at Plough Lane
- 8 The most beautiful places to live in Suffolk - according to estate agents
- 9 Town skipper Morsy handed four-game ban after Accrington charge
- 10 Ipswich man jailed for 25 years after teen left paralysed in shooting
“Alex is a regular in the first team and holds his own in the first team.
“He’s played in many positions for us, and they are the kind of players we want. I can’t ask for more than that,” added Gilbey.
Gilbey is again set to start at Prenton Park this afternoon, while fellow midfielders Craig Eastmond and David Wright are also expected to recover from knocks to play.