John-Joe O’Toole bags hat-trick in U’s crushing win
Colchester United 8 Harlow Town 1
COLCHESTER United powered to a comprehensive victory over Harlow Town in an Essex Senior Cup tie at the Weston Homes Community Stadium tonight, helped by a hat-trick from John-Joe O’Toole.
The U’s went goal crazy in the first half, and were already 5-0 up by half-time.
Midfielder-Joe O’Toole, one of several senior players in the U’s starting line-up, broke the deadlock after just four minutes by burying a shot from Drey Wright’s pass.
Andy Bond, back at Colchester following a loan spell at Crewe, doubled the lead with a spectacular 35-yarder in the 16th minute.
You may also want to watch:
And it was 3-0 on 22 minutes, thanks to the first of a brace of goals from Freddie Sears. He fired home with his left foot from 15 yards out.
Sears netted his second, and the U’s fourth, just two minutes later following Wright’s run and Clinton Morrison’s lay-off.
- 1 The places with the highest and lowest levels of Covid in Suffolk
- 2 Stu says: Six observations following Town's 2-2 draw at Cambridge
- 3 2,000 patients visit A&E because they are feeling depressed
- 4 Four men arrested after man dies at Felixstowe lorry park
- 5 Town get home draw in FA Cup First Round as ex-Blues head to Sudbury
- 6 Jailed in Suffolk: J Block gang members and man who attacked train station staff
- 7 New fishmonger shop opens in Suffolk market town
- 8 'I'll never shut up shop' - Cook on 2-2 draw at Cambridge United
- 9 Audi and Jaguar crash into central reservation on A12 at Copdock
- 10 US jets to practice flypast over Suffolk this morning
It was Wright’s turn to get on the score-sheet in the 44th minute, when he tapped home Sears’ low delivery.
Into the second period and O’Toole rammed home his second, and the U’s sixth, just after the hour mark.
Jeff Hammond netted a consolation goal for Harlow in the 76th minute.
But there was still time for O’Toole to complete his hat-trick on 85 minutes with a left-footed drive, and Wright to bag his second from close in on 87 minutes.
COLCHESTER UNITED: Pentney, White (sub Olufemi, 61), Nkumu, Hamilton, Ramm, Bond, Gilbey, O’Toole, Wright, Sears, Morrison (sub Ladapo, 69).