John-Joe O’Toole make welcome return for U’s
Colchester United Reserves 4 Hornchurch 1
JOHN-Joe O’Toole made a welcome return to competitive action, following a recent groin operation, to help Colchester United Reserves to a 4-1 win over Hornchurch in tonight’s Essex Senior Cup fourth round tie at the Weston Homes Community Stadium.
Midfielder O’Toole will now be looking to be involved in the U’s League One fixture against visiting Bury this Saturday.
Bradley Hamilton edged the U’s ahead from Lloyd James’ 12th minute corner, before veteran Karl Duguid lashed home a 25-yard effort to double the lead on 36 minutes.
Hornchurch were reduced to 10 men before half-time, when Andy Tomlinson was sent off for a late challenge on James. Sam Bantick halved the deficit for the visitors in the 68th minute, only for Tom Eastman to restore the U’s two-goal advantage by nodding home from close in, after Steven Gillespie had headed John White’s cross into the danger-zone.
You may also want to watch:
And it was Gillespie who netted the fourth, from long range in the 86th minute.
The U’s fielded a triallist in Australian striker Jason Ricciuti, although the 19-year-old limped off with an injury midway through the first period.
- 1 Pictures show flooding along Suffolk coast
- 2 11 Suffolk hotels named among best in the country
- 3 Road closed as one person trapped in car on its roof
- 4 No need to wait for booster invitation - clarification after Covid jab confusion
- 5 Major A14 roundabout may not reopen until next week as water main repaired
- 6 New shop for farm that focuses on mental health
- 7 From obscurity to a nailed-on starter - Donacien's remarkable Town journey
- 8 Large cannabis farm discovered in property near Suffolk-Essex border
- 9 Nsiala on his injury return, a rollercoaster Town career and 'hugging it out' with boss Cook
- 10 'It was always going to be' - Cook confirms Morsy as Town's club captain