Johnson doubts whether Bolt can win four gold medals
OLYMPIC legend Michael Johnson believes Usain Bolt could struggle to secure four gold medals at next year’s Olympic Games in London.
The Jamaican will defend his 100 metres, 200m and 4x100m titles and has expressed his desire to compete in the 4x400m competition as well.
Should he achieve the feat, that would make the 25-year-old the first man to win four gold medals in track and field since Carl Lewis in 1984.
However, Johnson has his doubts.
“You can’t train for the 400 as well, it would be an absolute distraction and the training wouldn’t work,” Johnson said.
You may also want to watch:
“I think he could be the world-record holder at 400 metres but he’s said that he has no interest in training for it, which I can understand - it’s a difficult race to train for.
“I see no reason why he shouldn’t be able to repeat as an Olympic gold medallist in the 100m, 200m and the 4x100m, but the 4x400m is going to be tough.
- 1 Suffolk enjoys warehousing boom as more businesses flock to region
- 2 Woman in 20s dies in single car crash on A12 in Suffolk
- 3 A12 fully reopened after serious crash
- 4 Container ship that blocked Suez Canal due to arrive in Felixstowe
- 5 Boy, 5, dies after suffering serious head injuries at department store
- 6 Man left with cuts to his head after being bottled following fight in Suffolk town
- 7 Long-serving parish clerk resigns from council hit by flaring tensions
- 8 Positives, negatives and plenty still to do - what we've learned from Town's pre-season
- 9 Suffolk pub reopens with exclusive Champagne carvery
- 10 Obsessed man thought barmaid was in love with him
“Without him the Jamaican team certainly doesn’t have enough 400m runners to beat the United States. They could beat the US possibly with him on the team if he was training for the 400m, but he can’t just step onto the track and run a 44 or a 43-second split just off 100 and 200m training.
“I don’t see that happening. I don’t see the Jamaican coaching staff putting him on the 4x400m relay unproven. That means he’s got to go out there and run some 400s during the season, in order to prove that he should be on that relay.”