Jonas Knudsen ahead of Myles Kenlock in Ipswich Town pecking order, says Mick McCarthy
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Ipswich Town boss Mick McCarthy insists Jonas Knudsen remains his first choice left-back.
The Danish international has been a regular starter since arriving from Esbjerg in 2015, but a shoulder injury saw him lose his spot to homegrown youngster Myles Kenlock at the back end of last season.
Kenlock, 20, impressed during his breakthrough campaign but found himself back on the bench for Saturday’s 1-0 home win over Birmingham City.
“Listen, he’s behind Jonas,” said McCarthy. “He knows that. He’s got to fight Jonas for the shirt. Just having a few good games towards the back end of last season doesn’t mean he overtakes Jonas, who had loads of good games last season and has been terrific.
“It’s hard work that wing-back job, getting up and done, and I like to think if I needed to leave one out I could out the other one in.
You may also want to watch:
“Jonas can play left-sided centre-back in a three as well, so that’s going to be handy.”
- 1 Forensic teams at Woodbridge house after 'incident'
- 2 Major police probe after man and woman found dead in Woodbridge
- 3 First pictures: Which Suffolk pubs are preparing to reopen on April 12?
- 4 Matchday Recap: Goalless again in first game of a new era at Town
- 5 Tudor farmhouse with separate annexe is again for sale for £1.275m
- 6 Town's country park remains closed after woman's body discovered
- 7 'It was a surprise for a lot of us... but these are exciting times' - Gill on takeover
- 8 Murder suspect arrested after woman found dead at country park
- 9 Suspected drink driver charged after police dog tracks down man hiding in a ditch
- 10 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 0-0 home draw with MK Dons