Jonas Knudsen ahead of Myles Kenlock in Ipswich Town pecking order, says Mick McCarthy
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Ipswich Town boss Mick McCarthy insists Jonas Knudsen remains his first choice left-back.
The Danish international has been a regular starter since arriving from Esbjerg in 2015, but a shoulder injury saw him lose his spot to homegrown youngster Myles Kenlock at the back end of last season.
Kenlock, 20, impressed during his breakthrough campaign but found himself back on the bench for Saturday’s 1-0 home win over Birmingham City.
“Listen, he’s behind Jonas,” said McCarthy. “He knows that. He’s got to fight Jonas for the shirt. Just having a few good games towards the back end of last season doesn’t mean he overtakes Jonas, who had loads of good games last season and has been terrific.
“It’s hard work that wing-back job, getting up and done, and I like to think if I needed to leave one out I could out the other one in.
“Jonas can play left-sided centre-back in a three as well, so that’s going to be handy.”
- 1 'I thought he was going to Ipswich' - rival boss reveals Blues interest in right-back
- 2 Case of new Omicron Covid variant identified in Norfolk
- 3 25-year-old left eating disorder clinic prior to death on A14
- 4 New Ed Sheeran Christmas song with Elton John out this week
- 5 Will Suffolk have a white Christmas this year?
- 6 'Quirky and memorable' name for new café and visitor centre revealed
- 7 Norwood on target as Town Under 23's sting Hornets
- 8 New animal feed mill planned for Bury St Edmunds
- 9 Under-used council land to become sites for 3,000 homes
- 10 Suffolk mass vaccination centre wants to jab 10,000 amid Omicron concern