Karl Duguid closes in on magic 400 landmark
CLUB stalwart Karl Duguid is set to chalk up his 398th league appearance for Colchester United, against bottom club Chesterfield today.
Duguid is therefore rapidly closing in on the magic 400 landmark, a tremendous feat for a 33-year-old who has been a loyal servant to the U’s, albeit for a three-year spell at Plymouth.
“I am aware of it. But I never dreamed of playing 400 games for this football club, when I first started, and when I left (to join Plymouth in 2008) I never thought it either,” explained Duguid
“I never thought I would come back to try and do that.
“If it happens, then great. But I’ve got 398 to go first!”
You may also want to watch:
Duguid will be hoping to again feature against Chesterfield this afternoon, despite the arrival of attacking new recruit Gavin Massey, on loan from Watford.
Winger Duguid will certainly not be under-estimating the Spireites.
- 1 A12 closed following serious collision
- 2 Man taken to hospital after 40ft container drops on lorry cab
- 3 Woodbridge bar owner to fight £1,000 fine for Covid rule breach
- 4 Former Town defender could be in the frame to become Cook's No.2 after Richardson blow
- 5 Lorry driver hailed as hero after truck crushed in port accident
- 6 Car SOS to feature family who lost father and son
- 7 Why have ITFC's American owners issued £18m of new shares?
- 8 French pop-up restaurant owner unveils new seaside hotel plan
- 9 Missing person from Braintree has been found
- 10 Woman in critical condition and man arrested after serious A12 crash
“Everyone was saying that Scunthorpe were struggling, but they put in a good away performance to get a 1-1 draw last weekend,” insisted Duguid.
“That’s why we can’t rest on our laurels against Chesterfield.
“The new signing has got to be healthy for the squad. It will keep people on their toes.
“I think it is important to bring in people at this time, especially as we have a couple of niggling injuries.
“Hopefully his arrival can push us on to do that bit extra.”
Striker Kayode Odejayi is a doubt, due to a sore ankle, as is midfielder John-Joe O’Toole with a slight groin strain. Both will be aiming for a place on the bench, at best.