Karl Duguid inspires U’s to big win over Bury

Colchester United 4 Bury 1

COLCHESTER United powered to their joint biggest victory of the season, thanks to their best home display of the campaign at the hands of sorry Bury this afternoon.

The rampant U’s matched their 4-1 wins over Oldham and at Crewe with a stirring performance.

The evergreen Karl Duguid, starting his first game for the U’s since his return to the Essex club from Plymouth last summer, celebrated with a brace of goals in the first half.

They were Duguid’s first goals for his beloved U’s since the first season in the Championship (2006-07).

You may also want to watch:

Duguid’s double sandwiched a sweet header from Ian Henderson, to leave John Ward’s men 3-0 up at half-time.

Lloyd James then crashed home an unstoppable free-kick, from 30 yards out, to add a deserved fourth in the 66th minute.

Most Read

It was the perfect way for the U’s to respond to a run of three straight defeats, especially as visiting Bury had won their previous three league games.

The U’s took charge from the very first whistle, and never looked back from the moment that Duguid’s cross-cum-shot was deflected home off the unfortunate Joe Skarz inside two minutes.

United could afford to squander a host of other chances, most notably a couple of skiers from Anthony Wordsworth, before doubling their lead thanks to a bullet header from Henderson on 19 minutes.

Henderson’s header was deadly, soaring past keeper Cameron Belford into the far corner of the net, although Wordsworth’s cross was also inch-perfect.

Duguid netted his second goal and the U’s third just after the half-hour mark. The U’s veteran had time to turn inside the penalty area and direct a left-footed shot into the bottom corner of the net.

It was certainly a cracking first-half display from the U’s, although they were also indebted to a couple of smart reflex saves by Ben Williams to thwart Michael Jones and substitute David Worrall before half-time.

Bury needed to score early in the second half, to stand a chance of mounting an unlikely comeback, but their leading scorer Andy Bishop was off target with a free header, after which the U’s never looked in danger.

And James duly added a fourth goal in the 66th minute, courtesy of a 30-yard free-kick. The midfielder struck it with venom and accuracy, giving keeper Belford no chance.

Bury grabbed a consolation goal in the 89th minute through substitute Lenell John-Lewis.


COLCHESTER: Williams, Wilson, Okuonghae, Heath, Rose, James, Bond, Wordsworth, Duguid (sub Coker, 79), Odejayi (sub O’Toole, 90), Henderson. Unused subs: Izzet, Thomas, White.

BURY: Belford, Picken, Sodje, Eastham, Skarz, Sweeney, Schumacher, M Jones, Bryne (sub Worrall, 28), Bishop, Amoo (sub John-Lewis, 69). Unused subs: A Jones, Harrad, Branagan.

Referee: Mr James Adcock (Notts)

Attendance: 3,156

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter