Leiston beat Needham Market on penalties
- Credit: Archant
LEISTON beat NEEDHAM MARKET 4-2 on penalties to progress into the second round of the Southern League Challenge Cup, after a 1-1 draw at Victory Road last night.
Seb Dunbar put the Blues 1-0 up at half-time, with a 41st minute opener, and that looked like being enough for Glenn Driver’s side, especially when Tariq Issa was sent off in the 87th minute to see the Marketmen down to 10 men, but Reece Dobson forced penalties with a late equaliser.
In the first real chance of the match, Charlie Beckwith in the Leiston goal palmed away Issa’s free-kick.
Jake Reed had Leiston’s first chance after a good ball by Sam Warde, but put his shot was wide of the target.
However, the home side did take the lead in the 41st minute. A good move involving Tom Bullard, Jake Reed and Patrick Brothers set up Dunbar, who slid the ball past Jake Jessop.
You may also want to watch:
Matt Blake could have doubled Leiston’s lead with the last kick of the first half, but Jessop saved his shot.
Beckwith, who was named man-of-the-match, saved well from Adam Mills in the second half, while at the other end Warde hit the Needham cross-bar with a cross.
- 1 Forensic teams at Woodbridge house after 'incident'
- 2 First pictures: Which Suffolk pubs are preparing to reopen on April 12?
- 3 Major police probe after man and woman found dead in Woodbridge
- 4 Matchday Recap: Goalless again in first game of a new era at Town
- 5 Tudor farmhouse with separate annexe is again for sale for £1.275m
- 6 Murder suspect arrested after woman found dead at country park
- 7 Town's country park remains closed after woman's body discovered
- 8 'It was a surprise for a lot of us... but these are exciting times' - Gill on takeover
- 9 Plans for 170 homes in village outside of Ipswich
- 10 Driver goes to court over speed camera calibration dispute
With time running out, Dobson was denied again by an outstanding Beckwith save. Issa was sent off late on for two yellow cards, and in the 89th minute Dobson scored well from the edge of the area.
But Leiston won on penalties 4-2 with Cemal Ramadan, Patrick Brothers, Kyle Hammond and Josh Moore netting for the Blues.
LEISTON: Beckwith, Hammond, Dunbar, Knights, Jefford, Bullard, Aitkens (sub Moore, 75), Warde, Blake (sub Ramadan, 81), Reed, Brothers.
NEEDHAM MARKET: Jessup, McLaughlin (sub Carragher, 81), Sturgess, Kamanzi, Dye, Morphew, Marsden (sub Rose, 86), Issa, Dobson, Griffiths, Mills (sub Collard, 77). Attendance: 108
- BRIGHTLINGSEA REGENT suffered a 1-0 home defeat to Potters Bar Town, in the Bostik Premier. Dernell Wynter bagged the only goal of the game for the visitors, in first-half stoppage time.
FRAMLINGHAM TOWN beat WHITTON UNITED 2-1 at Badingham Road in a Thurlow Nunn Premier contest. Skipper Jimmy Mayhew put the Castlemen 1-0 up at half-time, and Danny Smith then doubled the lead for the hosts.