Leiston FC notes: Club has made real progress in 2014
- Credit: Archant
So the curtain comes down on 2014 with the Blues half way through their season and sitting just outside the play-off places.
Rewind twelve months and we were just starting to pull away from the lower reaches of the Ryman Premier Division, so position-wise along with points attained, a vast improvement.
The target this season was always to try and reach the play-offs and ahead of a busy January schedule that will see 9 games over 31 days, we are sitting in a good position.
The last game of 2014 saw a goalless Suffolk derby at Bury Town on Boxing Day. Both sides hit the woodwork in a very competitive match but in the end a draw was the right result.
Unfortunately the injury list does not look like relenting with Patrick Brothers and Josh Mayhew hobbling off on Boxing Day to join Joe Francis on the sidelines.
There was some good news though as Leon Ottley-Gooch recently completed his 150th League appearance for the Blues, a tremendous achievement. The draw at Bury took our winless run to four League games ahead of the visit of Witham Town to Victory Road on New Years Day, kick off 3pm.
We then travel to Peacehaven & Telscombe on Saturday before Lewes are the midweek visitors next Tuesday. No fixture this weekend for the Reserves.
- 1 Two Suffolk beaches named among best in Britain for a winter walk
- 2 A14 reopens after 'serious' crash involving three lorries
- 3 Road closed while fire crews tackle Martlesham blaze
- 4 Suffolk landlord 'over the moon' to be named pub of the month
- 5 Eight centre-backs Ipswich Town could turn to this month
- 6 Suffolk coastline to feature on BBC Winterwatch
- 7 Woman who claimed council tax support had income of £100k per year
- 8 Frustration as temporary traffic lights left in place for nearly a year
- 9 Meet the man who has documented the entire history of a Suffolk village
- 10 Shocked woman finds naked burglar asleep in her bed
It just leaves me to wish our players, officials, sponsors, supporters and everyone a Happy New Year and thank everyone for their support in 2014.