FA Cup replays for Leiston, Haverhill Rovers and Long Meford, while Needham go through
- Credit: JOHN HEALD
Leiston survived a scare but battled back from two goals down at Cheshunt to secure an FA Cup First Qualifying Round replay and put themselves into the hat for the next round as they bagged two strikes in the last 25 minutes.
The Blues started strongly, as Jake Reed forced Harry Girling into an early save and from the resultant corner, Matt Blake hit a post.
The home side gradually came into the contest and took the lead after 20 minutes as Mark Hughes flicked in a corner at the near post.
Marcus Garnham then had to be alert to deny Hafeez Sanusi and Hughes, whilst at the other end Leiston couldn’t scramble home the ball from a corner and Reed had a strike well blocked from Girling.
Just three minutes into the second half, and Cheshunt doubled their lead. Sanusi was allowed time to shoot after some slack play to fire home.
You may also want to watch:
This seemed to spark Leiston into life, and Christy Finch finished well to pull a goal back after Byron Lawrence’s shot was saved by Girling’s outstretched foot.
Substitute Dominic Docherty levelled the tie in the 74th minute with his first touch as he headed home Reed’s cross. Garnham again was down well to save Ricky Sappleton’s free kick as both teams defended well late on to stay in the competition.
- 1 Family of hairdresser, 17, who died in her sleep 'overwhelmed' by tributes
- 3 Suffolk families stunned after homes transformed on Changing Rooms
- 4 Channel 4's Changing Rooms comes to Bury St Edmunds tonight
- 5 Teen among two arrested in armed police incident
- 6 Villagers call to stop 'hazardous' 5-week road closure with huge diversions
- 7 Suffolk coast named one of top UK destinations for autumn
- 8 Donacien on his Ipswich Town future and why he wears the No.44 shirt
- 9 Couple fear they will never sell home after A12 upgrade outside
- 10 Jail for man who threatened to 'do a Raoul Moat' and kill police
The two sides face each other again in a replay at Victory Road on Tuesday night.
Fellow Evostik South Premier side Needham Market did make progress in the Cup though, cruising to a 4-0 win victory at Barton Rovers with goals from Kamanzi, Dobson, Morphew and Mills.
Elsewhere, Haverhill Rovers and Long Melford played out a 0-0 draw. Rovers missed a penalty just two minutes into the game when Prince Mutswunguma was felled in the box but skied his spot kick.
They will replay at Melford on Wednesday night.