Cup final and 10 points for Blues
- Credit: Archant
Three more points have been added to the first teams points haul in the league in the last week, while on Tuesday night Leiston progressed to the Suffolk Premier Cup final for a fifth time.
On Saturday afternoon, the Blues overcame an excellent Staines Town side, winning 4-1. The match got off to a great start as Jake Reed was fouled in the penalty area, leaving Jack Ainsley the duty of putting the Suffolk side ahead which he duly obliged.
Darren Mills netted his third Leiston goal since being back at the club as he smashed home a long distance strike from the edge of the area.
Lewis Driver pulled a goal back before the interval, and Leiston goalkeeper Marcus Garnham made some fantastic saves to keep Leiston ahead.
Leiston, playing in orange on the day, scored their third when Jake Reed pressurised the home defence and finished under keeper Conor Hudnott.
You may also want to watch:
The scoring was complete in the 82nd minute as Chris Henderson’s attempt was palmed out by Hudnott only as far as Patrick Brothers who put the rebound away well. Results in midweek see Leiston just a point outside the play-offs with seven matches left to play.
On Tuesday evening, all roads led to Lowestoft Town in the Suffolk Premier Cup semi-final against Kirkley & Pakefield. Kyle Haylock’s header put Kirkley ahead very early on, but Leiston levelled through Christy Finch.
- 1 Matchday Recap: Town close out game to secure big win
- 2 Cook proud of players after Town hold on for elusive first win
- 3 A14 blocked after three vehicle crash
- 4 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 1-0 Lincoln win
- 5 Major Lowestoft road partially closed due to police incident
- 6 Lincoln City 0-1 Ipswich Town: Bonne does the business as Blues earn first win
- 8 Soul-searching, an unleashing and the enemy within - Town travel to Lincoln in search of a win
- 9 Yellow weather warning for heavy rain issued for parts of Suffolk
- 10 Your favourite pub, restaurant, café and hotel in Suffolk revealed
Jake Reed’s impressive goal scoring form continued as he put Leiston in front, but after the break, Kirkley played well and took the game to Leiston.
Marcus Garnham had to make a couple of decent saves, and it wasn’t until added on time that Finch netted to put Leiston in the final.
They travel to Thurrock tomorrow and host Needham Market Monday for two games in three days.
The Reserves went down to a Rob Conyard goal in the first half after not having a game for nearly three weeks. At times they played well but could not find an equaliser. Tomorrow they host fourth placed Swaffham Town while on Monday they visit high flying Framlingham Town.
The U18’s beat Framlingham Town 4-1 last Thursday evening at Victory Road. Lukas Darling, Charlie Canham (penalty) and two Jac Garrard goals saw Leiston return to the top of the league table.
Last night they were at home to Needham Market, while next week they entertain second placed Woodbridge Town at Victory Road.