Leiston win again, while Heybridge Swifts taste FA Trophy success

Byron Lawrence (blue shirt) who scored Leiston's third goal in their 3-1 home win over Merstham toni

Byron Lawrence (blue shirt) who scored Leiston's third goal in their 3-1 home win over Merstham tonight. Picture: JAMES BASS - Credit: James Bass

IN-FORM LEISTON followed up their 5-0 thrashing of Harrow Borough on Saturday by beating Merstham 3-1 at Victory Road in a Bostik Premier clash tonight.

Christy Finch (16 minutes) and Jack Ainsley (57) were on target, sandwiching a 34th minute equaliser from Alex Addai. Byron Lawrence made the game safe with a third in the 77th minute.

Elsewhere in Bostik Premier, lowly NEEDHAM MARKET were held to a goalless draw at home to Leatherhead, in front of a good crowd of 270 at Bloomfields.

Also in the Bostik Premier, BRIGHTLINGSEA REGENT took the lead at Margate but ended up losing 4-2 down in Kent.

Billy Hunt put the R’s 1-0 up by sweeping home the loose ball, after a free-kick had parried on 16 minutes. Ben Swift equalised for Margate on 50 minutes, and Frannie Collin gave them the lead just four minutes later, only for Aaron Condon to equalise in the 61st minute. However, late goals by Jay May (75) and Jordan Chiedozie (84) won it for Margate.

You may also want to watch:

In Bostik North, a late goal from Ollie Peters salvaged a 1-1 draw for AFC SUDBURY, in their home game against Hertford Town.

Brett O’Connor gave Hertford a 17th minute lead, but, with time running out, the hosts struck with an 89th minute equaliser. Peters combined well with Mekhi McKenzie and benefited from a defensive mix-up before his shot found its way into the net.

Most Read

MALDON & TIPTREE were comfortable 2-0 winners over Grays Athletic at Park Drive in another Bostik North clash.

Ryan Clampin latched onto Chris Millar’s through ball to net the opener (19). The Jammers doubled their lead four minutes later with Joshua Pollard flicking home Kieran Bailey’s free-kick.

In FA Trophy first-round proper replays, BRAINTREE TOWN lost 2-0 at Brackley Town, undone by second-half goals from Matt Lowe (51) and Shane Byrne (79).

But HEYBRIDGE SWIFTS knocked out National League South high-fliers Hampton & Richmond Borough, thanks to a 3-2 win at Scraley Road.

Sam Howes was sent off after just six minutes for the visitors, and the Swifts quickly went 2-0 up through Luke Callander (ninth minute penalty) and Lewis Godbold (19). Max Kretzschmar scored either side of half-time to make it 2-2, but Godbold netted the winner in the 63rd minute.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter