Leiston win seven-goal thriller, while Maldon & Tiptree bag five
- Credit: Archant
LEISTON won a seven-goal thriller at home to Redditch United in the Evo-Stik Southern League Premier Central Division this afternoon.
Leiston beat Redditch 4-3, after leading 3-1 at one stage and then being pegged back to 3-3.
Leam Howards put Redditch ahead on three minutes, but the Blues came storming back with unanswered goals from Chris Henderson (18), Noel Aitkens (20) and Jake Reed (23) in a five-minute spell.
Howards bagged his second to make it 3-2 in the 52nd minute, and Liam Freeman then equalised in the 72nd minute, only for midfielder Byron Lawrence to score the winner just 60 seconds later.
However, NEEDHAM MARKET were on the wrong end of a 3-0 scoreline away at Alvechurch, in the same division.
Richard Wilkins’ men conceded goals to Luke Yates (20), Joshua Ezewele (45) and then Thomas Turton (76th minute penalty).
Meanwhile, in the Bostik North, AFC SUDBURY lost 1-0 at home to 10-man Bowers & Pitsea, Quinton Monville scoring the only goal of the game in the 14th minute. David Knight was sent off for the visitors on 28 minutes.
- 1 10 Suffolk celebrities and where they went to school
- 2 'It's what I know and love': Former lorry driver opens food truck on A12
- 3 Photographer secretly recorded couple in bedroom of his Suffolk holiday home
- 4 Stu says: Seven observations following Wimbledon win
- 5 'We were harshly beaten' - Dons boss on Town defeat
- 6 'I lost my patience... that's how I roll' - Holt apology for 'derogatory' Morsy comments
- 7 Award-winning east Suffolk restaurant temporarily closes ahead of takeover
- 8 'I'm not here to settle' - Walton sets sights high after permanent Town move
- 9 'A real gent' - Father raising awareness of rare cancer passes away aged 61
- 10 Man found with 10,000 indecent images escapes jail
BURY TOWN succumbed to a 2-0 defeat at Canvey Island, Frankie Merrifield scoring after just eight minutes and Marlon Agyakwa doubling the hosts’ lead on 80 minutes.
There were mixed results for North-East Essex teams in the same division.
MALDON & TIPTREE romped to a 5-0 away win at Grays Athletic, in front of a crowd of 132.
The Jammers were 2-0 up at the break, thanks to goals by Decarry Sheriff (29) and Shane Cojocarel (38),
Chris Miller made it 3-0 just before the hour mark, before Sheriff netted his second and his side’s fourth on 68 minutes. There was still time for Jack Cawley to bag the fifth in the 79th minute.
But HEYBRIDGE SWIFTS were beaten 3-0 at home by Dereham Town, with 287 watching at Scraley Road.
COGGESHALL TOWN were impressive 3-0 winners at Soham Town Rangers, through goals by Aaron Condon (31), Ross Wall (59) and Nnamdi Nwachuku (74), while WITHAM TOWN drew 1-1 at home to MILDENHALL TOWN.
Striker John Sands put the Suffolk visitors 1-0 up in the 30th minute, only for L’Heureux Menga to equalise for Witham in the 65th minute.