Liverpool to offload Leto
LIVERPOOL will offload Argentine winger Sebasti�n Leto for �3m as manager Rafael Ben�tez attempts clear out his squad in preparation for a David Silva bid.
LIVERPOOL will offload Argentine winger Sebasti�n Leto for �3m as manager Rafael Ben�tez attempts clear out his squad in preparation for a David Silva bid. (Telegraph)
The Merseyside club have accepted a bid of �3m from Greek side Panathinaikos, with the player claiming the deal is '90%' on.
Leto has made only four starts for Liverpool since arriving for �1.85m from Lan�s two years ago and spent last season on loan at Olympiakos, where the 22-year-old fell out with the coach Erneste Valverde.
Despite his initial problems Leto hopes to remain in Greece but due to the absence of a permanent offer from Olympiakos, is close to joining their fierce rivals.
You may also want to watch:
With Alvaro Arbeloa also close to a �5m move to Real Madrid, Ben�tez's prospects of following the �17m purchase of Glen Johnson with another big-money signing have increased. Valencia's David Silva remains a leading target.
“There are negotiations between Panathinaikos and Liverpool and as far as I know the two sides are very close to a deal,” said Leto. “I think that the possibilities of playing at Panathinaikos next season are more than 90 per cent. I have been waiting for something from Olympiakos all these weeks but they haven't made a move for me so far. It's not a matter of money. I wanted to stay at Olympiakos but since they don't want to sign me I have to think about my future.”
- 1 People with these surnames in Suffolk could be owed a fortune
- 2 Valley Ridge ski resort in jeopardy amid furious row over landfill site
- 3 Man left with cuts to his head after being bottled following fight in Suffolk town
- 4 'Never seen anything like it' - community pulls together to revamp pub
- 5 Delays after car crashes into level crossing
- 6 Mike Bacon: Never delve too deeply into those pre-season results
- 7 Tourists turn to inland Suffolk as coast books up
- 8 Gill on the move again as former Town coach heads to the Championship
- 9 Container ship that blocked Suez Canal due to arrive in Felixstowe
- 10 Suffolk enjoys warehousing boom as more businesses flock to region