Local rivals play out thriller
EASTERN Counties head coach Nick Pressling has spoken of his delight after his Under-16s side narrowly overcame Essex 22-18.
The youngsters made a winning start to their London Divisional fixtures at the expense of their local rivals.
Winger George Wacokecoke scored two superbly-taken tries while Eastern Counties also scored a well-deserved penalty try earned by the impressive pack. Captain Ryan Headington added a penalty of his own.
Pressling said: “This was a great start to our three games. All the boys played well and we have a very strong squad this year.”
Essex had scored first with a fine try from their backs in a move which started on their own 10-metre line before an excellent solo effort from their winger kept the county side in the game.
You may also want to watch:
However, the second half was all Eastern Counties, three times the Essex line was crossed but tries not awarded.
The squad now look forward to playing at home against Kent on Sunday, November 20, at Sudbury RFC before their final match away to Hertfordshire in December.
- 1 Tudor farmhouse with separate annexe is again for sale for £1.275m
- 2 Suffolk holiday accommodation reaching capacity ahead of re-opening
- 3 Forensic teams at Woodbridge house after 'incident'
- 4 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 0-0 home draw with MK Dons
- 5 Major police probe after man and woman found dead in Woodbridge
- 6 Police cordon after man in 20s found outside Ipswich flats dies
- 7 Woman dies after car collides with tree in Leiston
- 8 Here's what Bristol City boss Pearson said about CEO Ashton being linked to Town
- 9 National Trust 'deeply saddened' at death of volunteers in Woodbridge incident
- 10 Murder-suicide probe after couple found dead in Woodbridge
Outstanding performances in these matches can earn the boys a place at the London Division trials early in 2012 which is another step towards England honours.