Loft brace sinks Colchester United
Port Vale 2 Colchester United 0
A brace from Port Vale skipper, Doug Loft, inflicted a defeat on Colchester United at a snowy Vale Park tonight.
The U’s were playing their first game for 24 days, following four successive postponements, so there was always a danger that they would be rusty.
And so it proved. Loft broke the deadlock in the 15th minute, by neatly firing home from Daniel Jones’ pinpoint low cross.
And Loft was on target again in the 52nd minute, latching onto Carl Dickinson’s exquisite lob over the U’s defence to beat Sam Walker with a clinical shot.
You may also want to watch:
The U’s improved in the second half, and substitute Freddie Sears peppered the target, but Joe Dunne’s men could find no way back into this game.
- 2 ‘Inadequate’ private hospital closes after patients ‘put at prolonged risk of harm’
- 3 7 of Suffolk's prettiest streets
- 4 Town face 'red tape' wait over Celina
- 5 A14 blocked after three vehicle crash
- 6 Your favourite pub, restaurant, café and hotel in Suffolk revealed
- 7 Hits, misses, an 'unseen' suspension, a few goals and two still without clubs - how the departed Ipswich players are faring ahead of Bishop reunion
- 8 Cook on whether he's missing the influence of Richardson
- 9 Ed Sheeran hints at new tour dates and reveals favourite Suffolk beer
- 10 Ed Sheeran announces three Wembley dates as part of = world tour
Port Vale: Neal, Yates, Dickinson, Grimmer, Jones, Davis, Griffith (sub Knott, 87), Hugill (sub Williamson, 77), Lines, Loft, Pope (sub Dodds, 90+1). Unsued subs: Johnson, Myrie-Williams, Tomlin, Birchall.
COLCHESTER: Walker, Wilson, Okuonghae, Eastman, Dickson, Wright (sub Sears, 64), Bean, Eastmond, Vose (sub Massey, 77), Morrison (sub Ibehre, 64), Watt. Unused subs: Cousins, Gilbey, Olufemi, Sesay.
Referee: Andy Haines (Tyne & Wear)