LONDON 2 NORTH: Braintree 30 Rochford Hundred 37
Braintree’s promising start to the season seems like a distant memory after a fourth straight league defeat.
The game started well for Braintree when Dan Kerr crashed over the line from close range, enabling stand-off and top points scorer Jamie Masters to kick the extra points for a 7-0 lead.
But Rochford hit back four minutes later courtesy of an unconverted try from Michael Stemp.
A second try for the visitors arrived via prop Scott Chivers, Tom Ashton converting to put the south Essex side 12-7 ahead.
The hosts levelled the scores on 16 minutes when flanker Tom Carslake scored from close range.
You may also want to watch:
Rochford regained the advantage on 22 minutes when fly-half Dan Needham scored their third try, Ashton converting for a 19-12 lead.
Braintree shuffled their forward resources by bringing Jake Avitable and Joe Stevens on for Paul Aldridge and Dan Kerr respectively but there was no further score in the first half.
- 1 Matchday Recap: All-square as Town and U's share six goals
- 2 Man arrested on suspicion of murdering Victoria Hall
- 3 Colchester town centre streets closed following concern over child
- 4 Town could still move for another winger after Chaplin signing
- 5 Boy, 5, in critical condition after incident at department store
- 6 'The people of West Suffolk deserve better': Vote of no confidence for Hancock
- 7 Andy's Angles: Six observations from Ipswich Town's Colchester draw
- 8 Family creates 50 new jobs by reviving two Suffolk pubs
- 9 Colchester United 3 Ipswich Town 3: Burns' late strike levels it for Town
- 10 Luke Woolfenden: 'It's like night and day, and I'm loving it'
After the break, a Masters penalty on 42 minutes reduced the arrears to 15-19, but Rochford kept finding ways through the hosts’ defence.
On 50 minutes hooker Tom Corbet crashed over for a try that was converted by Ashton.
Another Masters penalty pegged the visitors back to 26-18 but they then scored a penalty of their own to re-establish their 11-point lead.
Braintree clawed their way back through Chris Ford, but another Rochford penalty by Ashton put the visitors 32-23 in front.
When winger Tom Bavington crashed over for another try two minutes later, it was game over.
Braintree still managed one last flourish, Whyatt securing a second bonus point from a tap-and-go penalty by Adams, with Masters converting.