Lord’s can be best Olympic venue, claims Dielin
ARCHERY can be the best event at next year’s Olympics, when it is held at Lord’s, according to the general secretary of the World Archery Federation.
A test event is being held this week and Tom Dielin is at the ‘Home of Cricket’ on behalf of the sport’s governing body and is been delighted by what the historic venue has to offer.
“This is the home of cricket but for this week and next year during the Olympic Games, we want it to be the home of archery,” said Dielin.
“It is a wonderful venue, by far the very best of the whole Olympic Games.
“It symbolises our sport: the heritage of the pavilion and then the media centre, which shows the future.
You may also want to watch:
“Tickets are already sold out so we will have full stands too. We will never be the biggest but we want to be the very best event of the Olympics.”
Dielin also hopes to see some high-scoring in London. South Korea’s Im Dong-hyun break his own 72-arrow world record, shooting 693 in yesterday’s ranking round.
- 1 A12 closed by police after serious collision
- 2 Swimmers report sickness symptoms after dip in Suffolk river
- 4 Haverhill firm goes into liquidation with just £2.42 in the bank
- 6 Edmundson ruled out of opener as Cook discusses 'four, five or six' more transfers
- 7 Family 'devastated' after elderly man's Reliant Robin tipped over
- 8 Olly Murs in hospital after leg injury from Newmarket Nights gig
- 9 Nearly 20,000 parking fines since council took control of enforcement
- 10 Suffolk pub reopens with exclusive Champagne carvery
“The world record is a perfect indication that the venue allows for some big scores and we hope next year to see more world records and Olympic records,” said Dielin.