Lord’s can be best Olympic venue, claims Dielin
ARCHERY can be the best event at next year’s Olympics, when it is held at Lord’s, according to the general secretary of the World Archery Federation.
A test event is being held this week and Tom Dielin is at the ‘Home of Cricket’ on behalf of the sport’s governing body and is been delighted by what the historic venue has to offer.
“This is the home of cricket but for this week and next year during the Olympic Games, we want it to be the home of archery,” said Dielin.
“It is a wonderful venue, by far the very best of the whole Olympic Games.
“It symbolises our sport: the heritage of the pavilion and then the media centre, which shows the future.
“Tickets are already sold out so we will have full stands too. We will never be the biggest but we want to be the very best event of the Olympics.”
Dielin also hopes to see some high-scoring in London. South Korea’s Im Dong-hyun break his own 72-arrow world record, shooting 693 in yesterday’s ranking round.
- 1 Town centre road closed after becoming flooded in torrential rain
- 2 Lorry carrying mobile home stopped on A14 in Suffolk for being too wide
- 3 Live updates as Suffolk students pick up their A-Level results
- 4 Fears over impact of cottage plans on landmark Suffolk windmill
- 5 'There are qualities we want to add' - McKenna on Town transfer targets
- 6 'Nottingham Knockers' targeting homes in east Suffolk village
- 7 Victorian water tower set to become restaurant
- 8 Pub with 'gorgeous views' named one of UK's best waterside drinking spots
- 9 Ex-Town loanee Bonne looks set to depart QPR
- 10 Severe delays on A12 as carriageway floods during extreme rainfall
“The world record is a perfect indication that the venue allows for some big scores and we hope next year to see more world records and Olympic records,” said Dielin.