Louis says decision to leave Witches out of Fours, ‘bizarre’
IPSWICH Witches will NOT be able to defend their Premier League 4s after they were sensationally left out of the eight teams who have qualified for the semi-finals and final at Peterborough next month.
IPSWICH Witches will NOT be able to defend their Premier League 4s title after they were sensationally left out of the eight teams who have qualified for the semi-finals and final at Peterborough next month.
The ‘Sackers’-sponsored Suffolk side have been left out of a competition they won at Leicester in October last year, leaving director of speedway Chris Louis calling the decision ‘bizarre’.
“It makes no sense on any level,” Louis said.
“OK, so the qualifying procedures are to do with teams’ top four averaged riders and we are not one of the top eight teams in that respect. But we built our team around seven riders, not four.
You may also want to watch:
“We are the holders of the competition and Ipswich is one of the closest tracks to Peterborough. We would have taken hundreds of fans to the East of England Showground. I find the whole decision bizarre.
“Rules change and it would seem to have made sense to at least make sure the current holders are in the finals each year, even if you allow for a wild card.”
- 1 MoD warns about late-night Apache training
- 2 Couple to bring 'family feel' to Sudbury pub
- 3 US jets to practice flypast over Suffolk this morning
- 4 Suffolk man admits owning more than 25,000 indecent images of children
- 5 Man dies after being struck by lorry near A12
- 6 Missing 66-year-old woman found in field after search
- 7 Mystery sculpture of man briefly appears on Suffolk beach
- 8 Major delays tail back on to A12 after crash
- 9 Number of schools with extra Covid precautions rises to 12
- 10 Haul of 20,000 suspected counterfeit DVDs seized in raid at Suffolk home
It certainly appears a huge own goal by the sport’s administrators, with Witches fans likely to have flocked to Alwalton next month.
The Witches are already in the League Cup semi-finals and KO Cup quarter-finals and have a strong top four to compete for a title they won in style last year.
The teams who have qualified are: Plymouth, Somerset, Workington, Newcastle, Berwick, Leicester, Glasgow and Scunthorpe.
The Witches are at home on Thursday to Glasgow in the Premier League.
What do you think. Drop us a comment.
Follow @Mike_Bacon on Twitter