Martin decision due next week
COLCHESTER United manager John Ward will make a decision on triallist Joe Martin at the beginning of next week.
The 21-year-old left-back, released by Blackpool this summer, has been training with the squad all week and played in the 3-2 Essex Senior Cup defeat at Dagenham & Redbridge on Tuesday night.
U’s boss Ward is today fulfilling duties as one of nine committee members of the League Managers’ Association, attending a meeting in Warwick alongside the likes of Sir Alex Ferguson and David Moyes.
However, assistant boss Joe Dunne will be keeping an eye on Martin in training today before Ward makes his decision whether to keep him on early next week.
Martin – whose father is West Ham legend Alvin and brother David plays in goal for MK Dons – started out on the Hammers academy before switching to Tottenham and signing professional terms in 2007.
You may also want to watch:
Following a loan move to Blackpool at the end of the 2007/8 season Spurs offered Martin a new deal, but the former England Under-16 and U17 intrenational rejected it and instead signed on a permanent basis for the Tangerines.
Injuries curtailed his two seasons at Bloomfield Road though and, following 21 appearances, he was released by manager Ian Holloway at the end of his contract this summer.
- 1 More Suffolk petrol stations closed as PM plans action
- 2 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 3 Lorry drivers being offered up to £60,000 and other bonuses as shortage bites
- 4 How it all unfolded: Town grab late point against Owls in bizarre fashion
- 5 Blaze spreads from classic car to bungalow next door
- 6 Dramatic pictures as huge barn fire breaks out near coast
- 7 Two arrested after man dies in crash
- 8 Suffolk petrol stations avoid closure as garages shut nationwide
- 9 22 Suffolk schools have Covid-19 outbreaks
- 10 Match Ratings: How Town players performed against Wednesday
Current U’s left-back Tom Williams, who provided both assists in the 2-1 win over Notts County on Saturday, sees his one-month loan deal from Bristol City expire following next Tuesday’s home game against Leyton Orient.
However, Marc Tierney – having missed the last five games with a shoulder injury – resumed training at the start of this week and should be in contention for a first team return soon.
Left-sided summer signing Ben Coker is due to return to Colchester following his one-month loan switch to non-league Essex side Chelmsford City soon, while Welsh Under-19 international Tom Bender has been made available for loan.
Meanwhile, centre-back Magnus Okuonghae, having missed last weekend’s game with an ankle injury, is rated as ‘touch-and-go’ by Ward for Saturday’s match at high-flying Bournemouth.
– Read Joe Dunne’s thoughts on the U’s young players in tomorrow’s EADT.