Derby announce Waghorn signing in £5million deal which could reach £7.5million
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Ipswich Town striker Martyn Waghorn has completed his move to Derby County.
Waghorn joins the Rams for initial £5million, with the deal potentially reaching in the region of £7.5million if add-ons relating to promotion, subsequent Premier League survival and personal performance are all met.
The move was completed last night, with the Rams announcing the signing this morning.
He has signed a three-year deal at Pride Park and could make his debut when the Rams face Leeds on Saturday.
The striker, who joined the Blues just a year ago for £250,000 from Rangers, has been the subject of interest from Derby, Sheffield United and Middlesbrough for much of the summer.
You may also want to watch:
He was an instant hit following his move to Suffolk, scoring 16 goals and assisting 11 more in his 46 Ipswich appearances.
But it’s understood the lure of working with Derby manager Frank Lampard was too strong, with the striker indicating his desire to leave.
- 1 Suffolk enjoys warehousing boom as more businesses flock to region
- 2 A12 fully reopened after serious crash
- 3 Container ship that blocked Suez Canal due to arrive in Felixstowe
- 4 Man left with cuts to his head after being bottled following fight in Suffolk town
- 5 Woman in 20s dies in single car crash on A12 in Suffolk
- 6 Obsessed man thought barmaid was in love with him
- 7 Long-serving parish clerk resigns from council hit by flaring tensions
- 8 People with these surnames in Suffolk could be owed a fortune
- 9 Positives, negatives and plenty still to do - what we've learned from Town's pre-season
- 10 Valley Ridge ski resort in jeopardy amid furious row over landfill site
“I’m delighted to see Martyn Waghorn become a Derby County player - I think this is a big signing for us,” Lampard said.
“He has been sought-after all summer and we’ve managed to bring him here, which is fantastic. We sold the club to him and, importantly, he wanted to come here and that’s the sort of player that I want in the squad.
“Martyn has many great qualities and he has been pretty prolific over the last few years in front of goal. He is a real all-round striker and last year we saw not only could he score goals in the Championship but create them as well.”