Masseur Roy departs from Portman Road
IPSWICH have been hit by more back-room upheaval with the departure of long-serving masseur Roy Rowe.Inside the last six months other behind-the-scenes stalwarts physio Dave Williams and kit man Paul Elmer have also departed Town.
By Elvin King
IPSWICH have been hit by more back-room upheaval with the departure of long-serving masseur Roy Rowe.
Inside the last six months other behind-the-scenes stalwarts physio Dave Williams and kit man Paul Elmer have also departed Town.
And now Rowe has followed suit - with all three being made redundant.
You may also want to watch:
Rowe, who has not been involved in Town's three competitive matches this season, would make no comment other than to refer any inquiry to the club.
A Portman Road spokesman said: “I can confirm that Roy Rowe has been made redundant as part of a re-organisation of the football medical staff.
- 1 Where are Suffolk’s outstanding schools?
- 2 Andy's Angles: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-0 loss to Millwall
- 3 Mapped: Suffolk postcodes with lowest level of Covid cases
- 4 Warnock and Dijon boss give updates on Town targets Coulson and Celina
- 5 Major former Debenhams store could remain empty until 2023
- 6 People with these surnames in Suffolk could be owed a fortune
- 7 Blues star looking forward to 'getting down to business'
- 8 Bridal shop opens in well-known former Sudbury bookshop
- 9 Gameday: 'Lots of work to do' - Town fans on Millwall defeat
- 10 'Never seen anything like it' - community pulls together to revamp pub
“We thank him for his services and wish him every success in the future.”
A popular member of the back-up team, Rowe would deal with any aches and pains the players had prior to games - and overnight for away matches.
He has been keeping the players supple and well tuned since George Burley employed him on a part time basis in 1996/97.
After first combining his Portman Road work with his own massaging business, Rowe became a full-time member of the Ipswich staff in 2001. He reverted to part time when the Blues went into administration.
Included in the official 2007/08 club photograph taken just two weeks ago, Rowe has not worked with the players since.
At the weekend when Town drew 1-1 at Home Park against Plymouth Argyle, Rowe was not in the party , and was spotted watching Burley's current club Southampton in action at Norwich City on Saturday.
Williams has gone to be a partner in his own physiotherapist business while Elmer took early retirement.
Manager Jim Magilton is now working with virtually a new back-room team since he took over from Joe Royle in the Blues hot seat.
Bryan Klug and Steve Foley have come in as coaches, while Steve McCall is now chief scout, Matt Byard is now physio and Wayne Coghlan new football operations co-ordinator.