‘He looks like more of a bloke’ - McCarthy on young defender
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Ipswich Town boss Mick McCarthy believes young defender Chris Smith returned from his loan spell at Chelmsford ‘more of a bloke’ and is hopeful he has a first team future.
Smith made 19 appearances for the National League South club before being recalled due to the Blues injury struggles in defence, and he took his place on the bench for Saturday’s 1-0 victory over Leeds.
He made his professional debut as a substitute at Crystal Palace in August and, while McCarthy certainly isn’t getting carried away, he is hopful the Ipswich-born youngster will one day make the grade.
“He looks like more of a bloke,” McCarthy said. “He’s been playing in that level where you have to stand up for yourself because it’s a physical game and it’s not the Under 23s.
“Adam McDonnell has done well too (since coming back from Aldershot), so the loan deals have been good for them.
You may also want to watch:
“Chris looks like an accomplished player and looks like a bloke when he walks through the door.
“I hope he can (have a first team future) but until they’re playing it you will never find out I guess.
- 1 A12 closed by police after serious collision
- 2 Swimmers report sickness symptoms after dip in Suffolk river
- 4 Haverhill firm goes into liquidation with just £2.42 in the bank
- 6 Edmundson ruled out of opener as Cook discusses 'four, five or six' more transfers
- 7 Family 'devastated' after elderly man's Reliant Robin tipped over
- 8 Olly Murs in hospital after leg injury from Newmarket Nights gig
- 9 Nearly 20,000 parking fines since council took control of enforcement
- 10 Suffolk pub reopens with exclusive Champagne carvery
“Sometimes there has to be an injury crisis where players get injured and you come in and take your chance.”