McGoldrick cut from Ireland squad for World Cup play-off games
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Ipswich Town striker David McGoldrick has been cut from the Republic of Ireland squad ahead of their World Cup play-off matches against Denmark. =
The six-cap front man had been named in Martin O’Neill’s provisional squad, but has been omitted for the final 27-man party as Shane Long (Southampton), Daryl Murphy (Nottingham Forest), Scott Hogan (Aston Villa) and Aiden O’Brien (Millwall) got the nod.
Ireland face the Danes at the Parken Stadium, Copenhagen on Saturday with the second match at the Aviva Stadium, Dublin next Tuesday.
Blues left-back Jonas Knudsen – who has only been capped twice at senior level – was recently added to the Danish squad.
Emyr Huws was named in the Wales squad for friendlies against France and Panama, but then withdrew and will continue his recovery from an Achilles injury for the Blues’ Under-23s tonight.
You may also want to watch:
Bersant Celina will link up with Kosovo for a home friendly against Latvia, while Tommy Smith and Monty Patterson are in the New Zealand squad for World Cup play-offs against Peru.
- 1 Photos of suspected stolen dogs released in bid to find owners
- 2 Theft of historic Royal Mail post boxes 'a worrying trend'
- 3 'We can look forward to the transfer window' - Cook on summer plans
- 4 Driver arrested after 12-year-old boy 'seriously injured' in crash
- 5 Retailer to pay £60K after multiple food hygiene breaches in Sudbury store
- 6 Dog walker in his 60s assaulted at Stour Valley beauty spot
- 7 Isaacs call police after quayside drinkers cause chaos outside bar
- 8 Stephen Ward on play-offs belief, Cook's criticism and his future
- 9 Man in hospital with head injury after late night assault
- 10 Plans for new KFC and Starbucks refused